Questions about cooling a Ryzen 3600

biggles

2[H]4U
Getting ready to upgrade the current system to a Ryzen 3600.

Is it correct that the 3600 does have much overclocking headroom, making aftermarket heatsinks useful only for noise and temps?
Would a cheap $20 tower cooler like the one below be a good match for the 3600?
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freez...ble-Pre-Applied/dp/B084P82HRY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I do like having a quiet system, probably have to try out the in box Stealth cooler to see if the noise is bothersome before deciding on aftermarket cooling. My Obsidian 450d currently has 3 fans, 2 front and one top, and I plan to add a 4th to the back. So decent case airflow.

I am out of the loop regarding thermal paste, is Arctic Silver 5 still a decent choice? Arctic Silver 5 has always gotten a bad rap due to curing time, but after that its performance used to be pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
None of the Ryzen 3000 chips have much OC headroom.

I'd try staying with the stock cooler first then upgrading.

I'm partial to Noctuas due to past/current experiences with it

If you have the space for a 120 fan cooler and want a budget one I'd go for the Esports 34 instead https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8BLC3/ Since it's direct contact it won't be quite as good as a soldered base one like the Mugen 5 rev B but it'll still be good and the 3600 isn't that hot of a chip. Main difference would be arctic has 2100 rpm fan and scythe has 1200rpm fan so the Mugen 5 Rev B will run a lot quieter.

For paste I'd get MX-4 instead, easier to spread and don't have to cure it like AS5.

Last edited:
Getting ready to upgrade the current system to a Ryzen 3600.

Is it correct that the 3600 does have much overclocking headroom, making aftermarket heatsinks useful only for noise and temps?
Would a cheap $20 tower cooler like the one below be a good match for the 3600?
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freez...ble-Pre-Applied/dp/B084P82HRY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I do like having a quiet system, probably have to try out the in box Stealth cooler to see if the noise is bothersome before deciding on aftermarket cooling. My Obsidian 450d currently has 3 fans, 2 front and one top, and I plan to add a 4th to the back. So decent case airflow.

I am out of the loop regarding thermal paste, is Arctic Silver 5 still a decent choice? Arctic Silver 5 has always gotten a bad rap due to curing time, but after that its performance used to be pretty good.
Try stock and if that’s not quiet enough get aftermarket. But test with loads you actually use, don’t fire up prime and make a decision.

Update, I find the stock cpu heatsink/fan is noisy. The issue, it seems, is that fan speed ramps up and down rapidly rather than making gradual changes. So, either need to find a way to smooth the fan curve, tweak some system settings, or go aftermarket.

Is it possible that PBO is ramping up cpu speeds, temps, and fan speeds? I have read about PBO but could not understand the technical details in threads about it. Question: is it recommended to select "disable" for PBO under AI Tweaker? It is currently set to "auto". Asus X570-P Prime motherboard with latest uefi/bios 1407.

Update, I find the stock cpu heatsink/fan is noisy. The issue, it seems, is that fan speed ramps up and down rapidly rather than making gradual changes. So, either need to find a way to smooth the fan curve, tweak some system settings, or go aftermarket.

Is it possible that PBO is ramping up cpu speeds, temps, and fan speeds? I have read about PBO but could not understand the technical details in threads about it. Question: is it recommended to select "disable" for PBO under AI Tweaker? It is currently set to "auto". Asus X570-P Prime motherboard with latest uefi/bios 1407.
use the bios to set a custom fan curve; flat 25-30% until 55C the ramp to 100% at 80c. that will stop the up/down. it will do it with any hsf if you dont set a custom curve. if you want less noise and lower temps upgrade to at minimum a 120mm tower cooler.

^This if you have the room in your case
Also,
If you can get one cheap —the Wraith Spire. I find that the OG spire with the copper vapor chamber works very well with the 3600. The Stealth is adequate but barely IMO which leads to more noise and higher temps.

Just go get a Hyper 212+ with AM4 bracket.
That is plenty and exactly how I've been running my own 3600x for months now.

^This if you have the room in your case
Also,
If you can get one cheap —the Wraith Spire. I find that the OG spire with the copper vapor chamber works very well with the 3600. The Stealth is adequate but barely IMO which leads to more noise and higher temps.
It is a Corsair Obsidian 450d case. So I believe there is plenty of room for a cheap tower style cpu cooler.

Yeah, I have no idea how I missed that! Plenty of room and options in that case.

Perhaps I should mention the reason for focusing on the cooling of the new build. About 18 years ago I accidentally destroyed an Athlon XP 2000+ cpu. It overheated and melted. Was not my fault, the PC builder did not install in a case with proper ventilation. Ever since then I carefully watch temps in my systems to ensure they are not damaged by heat. The whole tech industry is probably a lot better at avoiding catastrophes like today, I think the industry was still coming to grips with the consequences of greater amounts of heat coming from chips back in those days.

its only a 65 watt chip. When I used to own one and a Hyper212 made it run like ice which is about a 22 dollar cooler.

Perhaps I should mention the reason for focusing on the cooling of the new build. About 18 years ago I accidentally destroyed an Athlon XP 2000+ cpu. It overheated and melted. Was not my fault, the PC builder did not install in a case with proper ventilation. Ever since then I carefully watch temps in my systems to ensure they are not damaged by heat. The whole tech industry is probably a lot better at avoiding catastrophes like today, I think the industry was still coming to grips with the consequences of greater amounts of heat coming from chips back in those days.

Chips now are so intelligent. They will not melt. They will literally pull all their voltage and frequency if overheated and they will rapidly self cool or completely shut down their cores in order to prevent 20 years ago from happening.

Chips now are so intelligent. They will not melt. They will literally pull all their voltage and frequency if overheated and they will rapidly self cool or completely shut down their cores in order to prevent 20 years ago from happening.
That confirms what I thought. I laugh about it now, but it was traumatic at the time. It was the main factor that steered me towards learning about computer building and hardware. It is also why I visit sites like this daily to keep up the education.

the days of this are long gone
giphy.gif

Honestly spring for the 3600x for $20 more. It comes with a more beefy HSF. I personally didn't find it loud in the two budget systems I built.

Question about temp monitoring software. I read somewhere that Ryzen Master gives more accurate readings compared to 3rd party software such as MSI Afterburner. Also read that 3rd party software leads to Ryzen cpu to spike in cpu utilization and temps. Is it best to only use Ryzen Master? I just downloaded and installed the Ryzen Master software and it looks like a useful tool indeed.

Question about temp monitoring software. I read somewhere that Ryzen Master gives more accurate readings compared to 3rd party software such as MSI Afterburner. Also read that 3rd party software leads to Ryzen cpu to spike in cpu utilization and temps. Is it best to only use Ryzen Master? I just downloaded and installed the Ryzen Master software and it looks like a useful tool indeed.
Yes, only use Ryzen Master. It is the most accurate and least intrusive tool for the job. I've been using it exclusively since I started running Ryzen processors.

just bought a 3600 for a good price, and also wondering about cooling.

no room for a 120mm tower, so curious whether a Corsair H75 would be a [substantial] improvement over a Wraith Stealth?

and as I my come into a Wraith Prism a few months down the line - whether the Corsair H75 would be a [useful] improvement over the Wraith Prism?

ryzen master gives more accurate readings at idle, under load the 3rd party apps are accurate other than when cores drop below i think it's 2500mhz then they start freaking out and reporting incorrect clock speeds since the bios stops reporting clock speeds below 25x multiplier which is the lowest you can set it to in bios.

I was not satisfied with the noise level of the stock fan until setting a custom fan profile using the Asus AI Suite software. It is much better now.

set the fan curve in bios and delete asus AI suite.. the windows app has always been bad and is notorious for causing issues down the road.

no room for a 120mm tower, so curious whether a Corsair H75 would be a [substantial] improvement over a Wraith Stealth?

and as I my come into a Wraith Prism a few months down the line - whether the Corsair H75 would be a [useful] improvement over the Wraith Prism?

what case do you have? from personal experience 120mm AIO are not worth the money.

I just did some reading on amazon reviews, someone there compared the H75 performance with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 and the H75 was better. So yes, the H75 would be a good improvement over the Wraith Prism. I find the AIO liquid coolers to be overpriced for the performance, but their one advantage is fitting into tight spaces.

Corsair H75 > Coolermaster Hyper 212 > Wraith Prism > Wraith Stealth in cooling performance. But again, with tweaked fan profiles, even the Stealth does a good enough job. So unless you are picky about noise and temps suggest just sticking with the Wraith Prism.

I have a personal preference for cheap tower coolers due to their good bang for the buck. Obviously one needs adequate space inside the case to go that route.

I do a lot of 3600 builds at my shop, and I always replace the stock cooler with a wraith prism that comes with the bigger cpu's and it's a great ,cheap upgrade. I pick them up off ebay for $15 to $20

what case do you have? from personal experience 120mm AIO are not worth the money.
Silverstone Fortress FT05
&
InWin 901

3600 is likely to double duty, first in my htpc (which is a dieing i5 4440 system), then as a temporary replacement for my i7 5820k until Zen4 is cheap (around Q1 2022).

I just did some reading on amazon reviews, someone there compared the H75 performance with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 and the H75 was better. So yes, the H75 would be a good improvement over the Wraith Prism. I find the AIO liquid coolers to be overpriced for the performance, but their one advantage is fitting into tight spaces.

Corsair H75 > Coolermaster Hyper 212 > Wraith Prism > Wraith Stealth in cooling performance. But again, with tweaked fan profiles, even the Stealth does a good enough job. So unless you are picky about noise and temps suggest just sticking with the Wraith Prism.

I have a personal preference for cheap tower coolers due to their good bang for the buck. Obviously one needs adequate space inside the case to go that route.
cheers.

i have used H75's on both my existing builds - my htpc with an i5 4440 and my main pc with an i7 5820k - and both have done 5-6 years now.
but since then the wraith's have come along with a good rep, so don't want to spend £75 for a marginal performance improvement.

as i'm replacing both systems shortly i'm tempted to give the prism to the 3600 (to use in the InWin901), and get an AIO cooler for use with a 3700x/3800x (in my FT05 case).
which is why i'm interested in which AIO 120mm will perform signifiantly better than a prism (to make the ~£80 worthwhile)...

Your FT05 case can fit cpu coolers up to 162mm in height, you can get the Noctua NH-U12S, it performs almost as good as a 240mm aio but it is much quieter than any 120mm aio out there and cheaper. If you must have a 120mm AIO then I suggest getting the arctic liquid freezer ii 120

i do want AIO, would you rate the arctic better than a h75?
no. a 120 is basically a 120. some might have a faster fan that will help a tiny bit. the h80i would be your best best if limited to 120. dont mount it in the bottom though, any air will trapped in the pump due to it being the high point. you will have to top mount if you go aio.
edit: added i to h80

Last edited:
Yeah I think the Arctic is a better buy. It has a thicker radiator, quieter fan and it’s going to be cheaper. Corsair AIO are overpriced
the artic is 38mm the corsair i recommended is 49mm BUT that artic is almost half the price, holy crap its cheap. so op, id say go with the artic and live with a couple C hotter temps.

I wouldn't put an AIO in the FT05 it's got excellent airflow so no reason to use one since an air cooler will perform very well there. AIOs are mostly useful to work around cases with awful airflow.

Question, I purchased the Arctic Freezer 34 and will be installing it today. There is also a "duo" version that has 2 120mm fans in push/pull config. Mine just came with one fan as expected, but it does have the clips in the package to add a second fan if desired. It seems like I could just add an ordinary 120mm fan if desired, correct? No special requirements on the fan specs as long as 120mm?

Question, I purchased the Arctic Freezer 34 and will be installing it today. There is also a "duo" version that has 2 120mm fans in push/pull config. Mine just came with one fan as expected, but it does have the clips in the package to add a second fan if desired. It seems like I could just add an ordinary 120mm fan if desired, correct? No special requirements on the fan specs as long as 120mm?
technically yes. the air flow will be slightly different but it will work fine.

Update on the Arctic Freezer 34 install. Turns out the cooler is not compatible out of the box with the Asus X570-P Prime motherboard. After fully screwing in the standoffs, the backplate remains loose and prevents a proper installation. I have emailed Arctic for assistance. Assumption is that there is some part they will mail out (e.g., thicker backplate?) to allow a proper install. Apparently, other PC builders had the same problem as this is confirmed in the comments of Arctic's youtube install video below.

Update on the Arctic Freezer 34 install. Turns out the cooler is not compatible out of the box with the Asus X570-P Prime motherboard. After fully screwing in the standoffs, the backplate remains loose and prevents a proper installation. I have emailed Arctic for assistance. Assumption is that there is some part they will mail out (e.g., thicker backplate?) to allow a proper install. Apparently, other PC builders had the same problem as this is confirmed in the comments of Arctic's youtube install video below.

using the oem mobo backplate with the proper stand offs? it looks like it come with two sizes...

1589337080256.png

Well I feel silly now. Have to report that the Arctic Freezer 34 came with 3 sets of standoffs. Once I determined which standoffs to use, the heatsink installed properly without any free play even though the backplate was loose before screwing the heatsink in place. It was an Amazon warehouse purchase without manual or docs, and the video above was unclear. All installed now and works fine.

Question, 1 of my 4 case fans plugs into the AIO header on the motherboard currently. The wire for the Arctic Freezer 34 has an extra connector. I think it would be better to plug this case fan into this extra connector. Reason is that I think the AIO header does not allow fan speed changes in bios but the extra connector will allow fan speed changes. Is this correct?

Well I feel silly now. Have to report that the Arctic Freezer 34 came with 3 sets of standoffs. Once I determined which standoffs to use, the heatsink installed properly without any free play even though the backplate was loose before screwing the heatsink in place. It was an Amazon warehouse purchase without manual or docs, and the video above was unclear. All installed now and works fine.

Question, 1 of my 4 case fans plugs into the AIO header on the motherboard currently. The wire for the Arctic Freezer 34 has an extra connector. I think it would be better to plug this case fan into this extra connector. Reason is that I think the AIO header does not allow fan speed changes in bios but the extra connector will allow fan speed changes. Is this correct?

it does, you just need to change the header setting in the fan control in bios from pump to PWM or fan most likely.

Back