Questions about 120hz/144hz and 1080p/1440p for gaming

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all

I am looking to upgrade my monitor soon for smoother fps performance. Pretty much the only game I play is competitive csgo. I am currently using a Samsung s27a750d

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001474

Going from 60hz to this was amazing, but I feel like I am noticing ghosting in fast paced situations. I play my games at 1080p and I never really thought about 1440p until now. I don't feel like my hardware could run most games at that high of a resolution. It seems like the premium for the resolution is pretty huge.

I would like to keep 27" and I want something with as little input lag as possible.

I am not loyal to any video card manufacturer, and I would like to try the new g-sync/free-sync tech. Should I wait until Free Sync drops or should I also be looking at a new video card too?

Basically, I am wondering if I would regret not going all-out on a new monitor, or if something like the BenQ XL2720Z at $450 would suffice. I am totally cool with a quick ugly TN rather than a prettier IPS with increased ghosting.

Any opinions or input is appreciated.

If you only play CSGO then your current setup will easily max it out at 1440p no problem. Going all out on a monitor is fine especially if you plan to use it for many years, it's a good investment. If money is no issue then you should really check out the Acer XB270HU coming out soon. tftcentral has a good review on it.

Unless you change your monitor on a regular basis, going all out on a monitor is probably the first thing I would do (in fact, your monitor almost single-handedly decides what kind of rig to go with it).

Besides, while you may not game all the time you are using the PC, you will almost definitely be staring at your monitor while you are using the PC, so having a monitor to your liking is especially important.

Agreed, Anyone else go through a similar situation and have some advice to share?

I went from a single 24" 1080p to triple 27" 1440p. What a jump!

I'd actually NOT recommend going triple 1440p, as there is almost no computer that can handle that with full settings (except for older games, which do work well).

However, 1440p looks great and really enhances the experience. For CS:GO you shouldn't have much trouble hitting that res.

The s27a750d is an excellent 1080p monitor, the only reason to sidegrade it to the XL2720Z is for a strobed backlight.

I also want to upgrade to 1440p and keep high framerates. I have decided to wait for the 390X and 980Ti to come out, then pair one with a FreeSync/GSync 1440p. Not sure if I'll let the GPU choice dictate the monitor choice or vice versa. Either way it's going to be expensive...

Should I wait until Free Sync drops or should I also be looking at a new video card too?
FreeSync or GSync you'll need a new GPU. R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs are required for FreeSync

Last edited:
Ah true yea.

Yea my current s27a750d looks nice, but the ghosting is the only thing I have a problem with.

Will the slightly higher 'refresh rate' and addition of a strobing backlight be a significant upgrade to resolve the issues I am experiencing? Can I use the strobe feature of the monitor without using Freesync/Gsync?

I'm not sure of the samsung's pixel response time versus the BenQ. When I went from the VG236 (2ms) to the VG248 (1ms), moving text became slightly clearer but the color quality isn't as good. Strobing tech is incompatible with FreeSync and Gsync as it requires a fixed refresh rate. The GSync monitors have a separate strobing mode called ULMB. Several manufacturers (including BenQ) have their own strobing modes.

Strobing is where you'll see real improvement in ghosting reduction. There is a lot to read up on to determine if it's something you're interested in. The BlurBusters site and forum have the most information on it.
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Also, your monitor has a strobed mode you can try out. It is intended for 3D, but apparently will run in 2D mode anyway. Unfortunately this implementation adds input lag.
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/samsung/

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=toronto-map.png&pps=840&pursuit=0&height=0
Without strobing I can't read any of the text scrolling by. With strobing I can read everything.

All that said, I think strobing is cool tech but the games I play have no chance of staying at max fps, so I'm going for the variable refresh tech. Strobing might make sense for someone like you who plays twitch FPS.

Last edited:
Ah true yea.

Yea my current s27a750d looks nice, but the ghosting is the only thing I have a problem with.

Will the slightly higher 'refresh rate' and addition of a strobing backlight be a significant upgrade to resolve the issues I am experiencing? Can I use the strobe feature of the monitor without using Freesync/Gsync?

Your monitor has strobing. Simply put it in frame sequential 3d mode.
It was a bit too dim for me, but worth trying (also reported to add some input lag).
It also messes up the colors to compensate for assuming you are wearing glasses, which you aren't, but you can still use the rgb controls in that mdoe to compensate.

This is helpful information. Thank you very much.

I have tried using the strobing mode, but as you guys say it made my screen way too dim and added input lag. With strobing on I can read the scrolling text on the UFO much easier though. I can definitely see a huge difference. Unfortunately it isn't playable with the problems it adds.

Since I can maintain max fps in the main game I play, I think I will just go ahead and get a 1080p 144hz monitor with strobing.

Dang. Looks like the new freesync benQ is a given for its price of less than $650.

Wouldnt even be costing me much more anyway and offers an upgrade path down the line. I hope it ends up being as good as it looks on spec sheet.

No problem.
I am hoping amazon stocks it today too. If so im going to pick up.

Ordered the BenQ XL2730Z from newegg because I didn't realize I had to pay tax in Illinois since they just opened a fulfillment center. I would have waited for them to stock it if this weren't the case.

Should have it by Thursday. :-D

Back