Question

spivy66

n00b
I'm looking to get a good UHD projector. I have a max 75 inch horizontal and 7 foot vertical wall. I'm looking to mount on my ceiling, guessing about 5-7 feet away . I'm looking to use it mostly for TV, Movies , and Sports all via had Firestick and sound bar. Maybe some gaming, but nothing crazy. I also plan to buy a screen. I have a budget of 2k which I think I can do . Does it make sense to buy a projector or stick with an 80 or 85 inch screen due to my limitations? Thanks

The problem is you can get good projectors around 2K but a lot of them are not ceiling mountable. Is that a must? Your options are even more limiting for a 2K 80" plus good TV.

The problem is you can get good projectors around 2K but a lot of them are not ceiling mountable. Is that a must? Your options are even more limiting for a 2K 80" plus good TV.
yes, must be ceiling mounted , I was looking at the benqTK850. Seems like a solid unit that can be mounted. I also to ask does it make sense to get a project or stick with the tv since I'm limited to 85 inches?

Last edited:
Didn't want to spend that much. I can get an 85-inch tv for the same price as a projector. Plus I still have to get sound bar and screen

You can compromise on a 65", (cyrrently under your budget) if you want quality over max size.

Yes, but I guess my question is, is a projector that is worth say 1500, just as clear as a TV for the same price?

No. Not in your case. A projector operating @ 75" is a poor choice since you need to deal with other list of issues (light control, ceiling mounting, additional audio, etc). If you were talking about a wall that could handle 100"+ screen and could be light controlled, etc..that is another story.

As a side note...the time of projectors is getting more and more niche. I am sitting on a 100" screen in my house. When this projector breaks I am not sure I will buy another one. I would say in 5 years...100" TV will be viable/reasonable for the consumer and it will eliminate soooo many issues. I have a fully decked out HT in my house and I see the writing on the walls. Heck, there is a good chance in 5 years there will be a modular based TV system for home consumer allowing me to make any size screen w/o going fully stupid.

I used a projector for over 10 years, initially building my own with an OHP before they became good quality and cheap enough, all using a 110" glass bead screen.
Just over 2 years ago I decided to trial a new 55" QLED TV instead of a 4K projector because pjs cant do HDR well enough and most 4K pjs are not really 4K.
Oh, and the lag with 4K pjs is terrible for gaming. Many 1080p pjs are great for gaming, 4K not.
Plus the brightness drops to about 1/2 level by the end of a bulbs life, this was annoying.
I am shocked how much better the TV is for image quality (at any room brightness) and how good HDR can look.
So much that I binned my pj screen a few months ago (the motor wouldnt wind the screen up) and gave my pj away.

Despite my current TV being 1/4 of the projector screen size it matters a lot less than I thought it would.
The only thing I would change now is the TV size to 75"+ and 120Hz at 4K, I wont be going back to a projector.
TVs are far too good, and the sub 20ms lag at 120Hz is icing on the cake!

I used a projector for over 10 years, initially building my own with an OHP before they became good quality and cheap enough, all using a 110" glass bead screen.
Just over 2 years ago I decided to trial a new 55" QLED TV instead of a 4K projector because pjs cant do HDR well enough and most 4K pjs are not really 4K.
Oh, and the lag with 4K pjs is terrible for gaming. Many 1080p pjs are great for gaming, 4K not.
Plus the brightness drops to about 1/2 level by the end of a bulbs life, this was annoying.
I am shocked how much better the TV is for image quality (at any room brightness) and how good HDR can look.
So much that I binned my pj screen a few months ago (the motor wouldnt wind the screen up) and gave my pj away.

Despite my current TV being 1/4 of the projector screen size it matters a lot less than I thought it would.
The only thing I would change now is the TV size to 75"+ and 120Hz at 4K, I wont be going back to a projector.
TVs are far too good, and the sub 20ms lag at 120Hz is icing on the cake!

I disagree.

You can never get a 120" inch + tv.

I disagree.

You can never get a 120" inch + tv.
lol, ignore all benefits except the one a pj can win with.
Sitting closer to a large TV wins on all fronts.
The only time a pj may be needed is for a large audience.
Or if you must sit a long distance from the display.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment - get a TV. With your wall a projector doesn’t make sense. I have a 92 inch screen and likewise when my projector stops working or when we move I don’t know that I’ll get another projector setup unless we’re talking a 120 inch or larger and with a JVC for those deep blacks.

I recommend the 65 inch oled for max image quality but any 75 inch TV should look better than a projector.

lol, ignore all benefits except the one a pj can win with.
Sitting closer to a large TV wins on all fronts.
The only time a pj may be needed is for a large audience.
Or if you must sit a long distance from the display.
I’m sorry but a tv does not win. My JVC RS620 crushes pretty much all TVs. Running HDR through MadVr for tone mapping. Also my custom room with speakers behind the screen is a much more immersive experience then any tv can give. Granted I’m talking a 50k+ movie room. The experience of being able to watch something like jaws that came out before I was born in a true movie setting is really something to behold.

now OP few questions, what is your viewing distance? If you really want to do a projector I would recommend in your price range a good DLP 4k. How light controlled is your room? Lots of windows ? No windows? If there is a bit of light you can do a ALR screen. Also DLP projectors have good motion and depending on the model very good input lag. Also the epson 4010 is really nice but is 1999.99. Also super bright and works well with some light in the room. Will also have a lot better picture then a DLP as far and contrast.

His wall is his limiting factor here. I’ll bet your 620 is awesome though. I’d love to get a nice RS myself eventually.

That being said... with his room situation, I think that any TV will be better than that Epson. If we were talking a UB then maybe the projector would be better but that’s out of his price range.

Back