Question to the 4P G34 guys about cooling

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
I see a lot of people using the 212+ coolers. Are you using just the coolers?

I have a 4P rig that I can't turn on at home because it's just too damn loud, so I leave it at work sucking up work power.

If I get 212+ fans will I be able to cut out my case fans?

It's the loudest thing in my server room now by far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FGzZ1SkI50

or could I get away with a 6channel fan controller and set them to 25% or so and see if it's less audible?

Depends on what you got going on...

If you are running stock chips, the stock fans will be fine. You will want some air circulation to go over/under the board. Is your system in a case?

If you are running ES chips and pushing them to 3ghz or more, you will need to replace the stock 212 fans with something more capable. Again, you will need air to move over and under the board.

I am going to assume you are in a rack mounted case. Do note that 212's will not work for you, if you wish to keep the top on. The 212's will interfere.

Also do use PWM fans and set fan profile in bios to ES(been awhile, this may not be the proper setting?). You do not want them to run full tilt unless needed.

Don't listen to sc0tty8. He only owned a few of these and has been messing with them many more years than me.

OP, you can fit 212s in there with a top. I'll see if I can dig up my picture of mine

Found one! Mind you, you will need a 4U box!
epqird.jpg

Don't listen to sc0tty8. He only owned a few of these and has been messing with them many more years than me.

OP, you can fit 212s in there with a top. I'll see if I can dig up my picture of mine

You cut holes in your lid and made your 4u a 5u?:(

You cut holes in your lid and made your 4u a 5u?:(

Cut that mother f*cker in a back alley! 4 times. In and out, quick.

The 212s do great. The end of the copper pipe is the only part that ssticks out. And it really doesn't stick out... Running at 3Ghz on some 1.6Ghz stock chips... Or was it 1.4Ghz stock? Can't remember

What you need is watercooling.
Above 2.8-3ghz you should start considering cooling of the VRMs.

2012-10-30%252000.19.27.jpg

I was looking into water cooling. but all the blocks I found were like 100 bucks each.

It's a system I have zero cash into, so I didn't want to drop $500 in cooling parts. I was thinking around $150-200

I was looking into water cooling. but all the blocks I found were like 100 bucks each.

It's a system I have zero cash into, so I didn't want to drop $500 in cooling parts. I was thinking around $150-200

Yeah... Unfortunately the guy who made my blocks quit the business...
Those are the famed DT Snipers... I approached him about making them for g34 and he obliged. They were only ~$50 ea. and I got one of the 4 for free for helping him with socket measurements and fit and finish feedback.

That loop overall was quite pricey... but then again it has dual RX360 rads and a RS240, 4 dt snipers, a D5 pump and 8 GT fans...
That said it was able to keep the procs cool at 3.8ghz... :D till the motherboard blew a gasket ....

Hmmmm, I wonder why. :p

Probably had something to do with 315w/socket.... All things considered ... The GL held out quite reasonably well.
(Note this was with 61xx ES chips... 62xx and 63xx will use less power and should be feasible at those clock rates.)

Yes, you will unless you are doing something crazy like Patriot - in which case, even those case fans won't help you... :)

or could I get away with a 6channel fan controller and set them to 25% or so and see if it's less audible?
Don't those cases have some weird way to get power to the fans? I don't think a "normal" fan controller would work without some modification, but I have never owned one of those cases.

As long as you are fine with doing the "musky mod" on a 212+ or 212 Neo and can live with the top of your case off, you can remove the case fans and the cooling will actually be much improved. Or, you can just buy some Noctua towers - they are the only company that actually makes a decent cooler for a socket G34 - pricey, but much easier than a modded 212.

Yes, you will unless you are doing something crazy like Patriot - in which case, even those case fans won't help you... :)

As long as you are fine with doing the "musky mod" on a 212+ or 212 Neo and can live with the top of your case off, you can remove the case fans and the cooling will actually be much improved. Or, you can just buy some Noctua towers - they are the only company that actually makes a decent cooler for a socket G34 - pricey, but much easier than a modded 212.
I love my Noctua HSFs, except for the price tag. I own the 120mm version and there is a 92mm version as well.

I love my Noctua HSFs, except for the price tag. I own the 120mm version and there is a 92mm version as well.

Run Noctua HSFs on my 4P as well. Keeps my 2.7 Ghz 6180SE CPU's at mid 40's C all day long. :cool:

Ax

Probably had something to do with 315w/socket.... All things considered ... The GL held out quite reasonably well.
(Note this was with 61xx ES chips... 62xx and 63xx will use less power and should be feasible at those clock rates.)

Yep as you know I have some 63xx 12 core chps (48 cores) running at 3.9Ghz under Liquid cooling currentley pulling 700 watts and some 6276 chips (64 cores) running at 3Ghz pulling 600 watts all running at under 40C

I see a lot of people using the 212+ coolers. Are you using just the coolers?
I keep my boards on Spotswood trays and with little to moderate OC, no extra cooling
is needed.

Given the case (2U) will need to be open anyway, you will definitely be
fine with just the 212+'s. They make huge difference compared to
any stock cooling. Note you'll need a muskymod(tm) to mount them.

You may need additional airflow across the board the moment you start heavier OCing
(which is when case fans may come handy) but for now 212+'s should suffice.

Do it :)

I'm not OCing at all. I just want to beable to run this server at my house with out those loud ass server fans.

You'll be set with just the 212+'s. Their fans are PWM controlled, too, so you'll be able to
make additional adjustments there.

one of the reasons i gave up on G34 was the lack of AiO watercooling solution. I can come back to it the future, if someone points me toward a way to mount Corsair's H75 over G34 Opterons.

i'll be experimenting with the Gelid 6 channel fan controller on my SuperMicro SC748 case (with H8QGi-F and two Opteron 6180 SE) this weekend. This is one of the older SC748s with 3 pin fans (3 hotswap fans on the rear of the case and 3 in the middle)... should be interesting if i can run the fans low enough to be reasonably quiet.

If you enjoy the technical challenges and engineering involved in water cooling, who am I to be a naysayer? With that said, I run four 4P systems, 61XX series CPUs, all overclocked, all with 212+ coolers. All of the CPU fans run at mid-range RPMs. These setups are stable up to just a little over 80F ambient. Concerning water cooling: it won't improve stability over air CPU cooling if you don't also take care to adequately cool the other motherboard components.

yeap, but water cooling is pretty much the only safe way to put a 4p inside a super tower case. not all of us are willing to live with a rack mounted rig or, gods forbids, run $1500 of hardware naked:rolleyes: with kids and pets roaming around

yeap, but water cooling is pretty much the only safe way to put a 4p inside a super tower case. not all of us are willing to live with a rack mounted rig or, gods forbids, run $1500 of hardware naked:rolleyes: with kids and pets roaming around

Why do you say this? I ran a 4p G34 inside a fully closed HAF 932 case using CM Hyper 212+ HSFs and the stock fan configuration for the case (minus the top fan, which doesn't fit if you shoe-horn a 4p in one of these cases.) This was a 4 x 6180SE system running at something like 2.75 GHz - not a low power machine by any means. Temps stayed right at 50C under full F@H load, which is really good.

Here's my rig inside a Xigmatek Elysium case before I moved it to the garage. The Noctua coolers are overkill and way more expensive than the 212 coolers, so I'd recommend the Coolermasters. The side and top case fans had to go but the temperatures were quite acceptable.

2011-12-22_17-41-57_131.jpg

yeap, but water cooling is pretty much the only safe way to put a 4p inside a super tower case
Three of my systems (overclocked, 24/7 full load, 48 cores) are in cases: HAF X, HAF 932, and Rocketfish (Lian Li rebranded).

Again, if you enjoy configuring and running water cooling setups, all the power to you!

i really like the Noctua's that i just added. i just taped up the gaps and added a small "vane flap" to keep as much of the hot exhaust air from the front fan from being ingested into the rest as i could.

2014-09-22035007_zpsd8bebf61.jpg

2014-09-22035041_zpsba9980af.jpg

2014-09-22035159_zps1b985272.jpg

These are dual 6180SE... now seeing 50C running prime 95 torture test.

As far as noise goes:

i went from this the first day i got her running (note it was that loud even without the rear exhaust fans hooked up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mxLwwzMBI&list=UU6lnBkg1WUh2iQ4xV_qciBw

to this (extremely quiet now - Noctuas + fan controller + updated SuperMicro 1400w PSU):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYX_Xccs58Q&feature=youtu.be

Very pleased with these Noctua's... well worth the $60 each... a steal even.

Last edited:
Good Choice, that was what I started with, until the overclock bug hit me

Before
Dual6274ESSmall.jpeg

After
WaterCoolingVidSmall.JPG

Back