Question Regarding Shipment That is Undeliverable

So whose responsibility is it suppose to be if an item is undeliverable? I am the buyer, and the seller sent an item without any return address (I don't know why you would do that but I do smell SCAM?) Anyways I'm not jumping into pointing fingers yet because I still have a couple of days until it should return to the sender (but the seller says that he did not put a return address and the post office guy said that the item should be returned to the sender, so I guess since there isn't any return address its "going to the Dead Letter collection" as the seller states). So I'm kind of confused as to what steps I should take right now? Should I file a claim on Paypal? The part where the seller told me he did not have a return address seems fishy already. Not like I'm going to track his address down.

Any input would be helpful.

shipment undeliverable because of bad address, or no one to sign for it?

if it's the second case, the receiver should have a couple of days to pick it up (usps)

file a claim on paypal. paypal requires proof of delivery, which seller doesn't have

why is it being returned?...why is it undeliverable.....?....how about some information so we can help .

I know my post office will not even accept a package or letter without a return address.

I know that my address on Paypal is correct and items that I have purchased (recently) shipped to my address with no problem. I don't know why the seller didn't print out the shipping label on Paypal because it would have made things easier. Instead, he manually wrote out my address and shipped it, I'm assuming this is what he did because Paypal usually sends me an e-mail that the item is shipped and it will also let me track it on the Paypal page. Also, there is no signature required for the package because I checked the tracking number. Only insurance and 2 day priority. I have no idea why it is being returned.

I know that my address on Paypal is correct and items that I have purchased (recently) shipped to my address with no problem. I don't know why the seller didn't print out the shipping label on Paypal because it would have made things easier. Instead, he manually wrote out my address and shipped it, I'm assuming this is what he did because Paypal usually sends me an e-mail that the item is shipped and it will also let me track it on the Paypal page. Also, there is no signature required for the package because I checked the tracking number. Only insurance and 2 day priority. I have no idea why it is being returned.

I ship priority all the time and never ship through PayPal. I print the addresses from PayPal and attach them to my box. So it doesn't mean he did not print off the address. But no return address. .. my post office won't even accept those.

Should I file a claim? Am I being unreasonable? My instinct is tell me to do it.

I ship priority all the time and never ship through PayPal. I print the addresses from PayPal and attach them to my box. So it doesn't mean he did not print off the address. But no return address. .. my post office won't even accept those.

get dude's address, write it on there along with return to sender, problem solved

How do I do that if the package did not ship to my address? It looks to me that its not going back to the sender as he stated because there is no return address on it. So if the item is somewhere in one of the 50 states, who is to blame?

get dude's address, write it on there along with return to sender, problem solved

How long has it been undeliverable? I just had this happen with a seller on here, and USPS screwed up. I ended up getting it 2 days late, but I got it.

Worth noting, TheMusketeer PM'd me the tracking number (he doesn't want his mailing address openly available to the Internet, which I can respect) and the error is "Undeliverable as addressed".

My opinion? Call USPS' main line, and pitch a fit (not literally). Have them start an "investigation" -- their jargon for "find my package and why the hell it isn't here yet"... I've had to call the USPS a few times and never ever had any trouble at all. They've always been nice helpful folks.

Should I file a claim? Am I being unreasonable? My instinct is tell me to do it.

You have every right to file a claim, you did not receive your goods.
As far as the seller, its on him at this point if his package never gets back to him and its his own his fault for not using a return address.

Worth noting, TheMusketeer PM'd me the tracking number (he doesn't want his mailing address openly available to the Internet, which I can respect) and the error is "Undeliverable as addressed".

My opinion? Call USPS' main line, and pitch a fit (not literally). Have them start an "investigation" -- their jargon for "find my package and why the hell it isn't here yet"... I've had to call the USPS a few times and never ever had any trouble at all. They've always been nice helpful folks.
What's the number for the main line? I'm in the same situation as the op. I've been talking with my local office's supervisor but haven't heard anything back from the dead mail center yet.

Here you go...

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS® (1-800-275-8777)
For Federal Relay (TDD/TTY), please call: 1-800-877-8339
Monday - Friday 8 AM - 8:30 PM ET
Saturday 8 AM - 6 PM ET

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm going to wait it out until next week to file a claim. I already tried calling USPS and the local USPS about this issue and they give me the same bullshit generic answer. In addition, my local USPS has horrible customer service; I get nowhere with them. I have also been in contact with the seller, and I really hope the item gets returned to him (I doubt it but who knows) so he can ship it back to me.

Keep calling. Persistence pays off... I'd focus on the main number if your local PO is demonstrably unhelpful.

Sooner or later you'll hit someone nice who wants to help you.

Update:
So after giving this seller the benefit of doubt, I resorted to opening a claim. I'm beginning to think if this guy is actually a scammer because he usually logs on quite often but since this transaction (after the fact I got vocal) he hasn't logged on since the 6th of May. I told him that I will give him until today for the package to receive his address (highly doubt it because he claims he didn't write down a return address but then "remembers" that he did because his friend said so) that he refunds me in full. Anyways, after I figure out a way to post out PMs I will post it on here because I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

If it works like this...

edited out my personal information using "edited out"

cyberjihad said:
Wow you didn't even wait 10 minutes after sending this PM did you?

Anyways, I feel like there is some fault on your half for improper address. I feel like this is a 50/50 loss split. I already peed away 15 bucks on shipping plus these graphics cards that got lost in the mail. I know you didn't receive your stuff but it's concerning how you will throw me under the bus so willingly to come up. I have an insurance on the package. Cancel that chargeback and I will paypal you 50 dollars back which is the insurance i had on the package.

TheMusketeer said:
Greetings,

May you kindly refund the payment I sent to you. If not, I have no choice but to file a claim.

Thanks
cyberjihad said:
I spoke with someone at your USPS just yesterday. I actually found Ken to be very helpful.

I think we should give it a few more days before we make any decisions. It has yet to be 2 weeks since the anticipated delivery of your item. If the tracking still shows nothing in a few days, I don't mind refunding you. But with the way the USPS has been handling their packages lately... and looking around with everyone else in the same boat on the forums... I think the wise thing would be to wait it out a few more days. Do you live in a home with anyone else? Maybe this package came with your name on it but it's not the name the USPS has on file.

TheMusketeer said:
Hi, can you please kindly refund me the 75 dollars I paid for the X2 GTX 260. At this point, the wait is not getting anywhere. I expected the items to come here last week latest so that I could finish my build. I definitely won't mind re-purchasing the item if it does get back to you, but the tracking number says otherwise. I already tried calling the USPS and went in person to my local post office and they keep on saying the same answer I already know, "the item is undeliverable" and no other explanation for the reason. This has dragged on for too long that I had anticipated.

So I kindly ask can you refund the $75.
If you do get the item back, I might or might not be able to repurchase them from you because I'm looking elsewhere to buy them now.

Cordially,
TheMusketeer
cyberjihad said:
Just got off the phone with my buddy and he definitely put my return address on the package. So I get the package next week and re-ship.... and maybe figure out why it didn't make it to your place the first time around.

TheMusketeer said:
If that's the case. Then you should get the package within next week latest. If u didn't write down the return address as u stated its going to the collection center. Either way don't start calling me a eat. I've been nothing but calm about this situation. If I was a rat I would of already disclosed it name. So refrain from negative comments.
cyberjihad said:
Don't be quick to jump to conclusions. Of course, after you called me a rat...every post after is going to be file a claim. All I did was repeat the information I got over the phone which took some time to get, it's not some big explanation. My buddy was next to me copying information from one label to another and it's possible he missed something. I doubt USPS would have accepted the package without a return address as they have never let me do it before. It sucks but you probably will have to drive down there to get anywhere with your post office, they sound terrible.

I worry about the nightmare of paypal and having no control over a buyer chargeback when something out of both buyer/seller control goes wrong and I have to suffer for it. Terrible system, but what can you do...

TheMusketeer said:
I recently opened a thread about this undeliverable address issue on the tips trolls thread. I'm not pointing any fingers, and I will do my best to try to resolve this issue with this undeliverable thing. I have already called the local USPS guy multiple times and every time I call him (seems like the only guy working there) he gives me a very horrible attitude and the same answer over and over again. I also called the USPS custemer service line and they said the same thing. At this point, I still want the product that is why I am not asking for a refund, but if worse comes to worse. If USPS doesn't fix this issue, I am going to have to file a claim. Hope you understand. Not trying to screw anyone over or anything, because I actually WANT the GPUs because I'm trying to finish off this build.

Hope you understand.
cyberjihad said:
Did you tell them the tracking number shows that is has not left edited out, CA? Ask them about the dead letter center, in the case that the package did not have a return address. (My freind was next to me copying shipping labels, there was a line of 20 people so we were filling out all the different labels not knowing which one we needed and he may not have copied the return address) When I spoke with USPS they told me the tracking number would tell me for sure where the package was. If it goes to the dead letter center tracking should show it. I would go in person to the post office with the tracking number and explain to them that if they lost the package they owe you the 50 dollar insurance, otherwise where can the package be traced to. This isn't me being a lazy bum about this-I have a serious hunch that package is on a shelf in some back room at your USPS and maybe you talked to a lazy employee. If it was being returned to myself, my USPS, or the dead letter center, why wouldn't tracking show it? The only help I have is calling my local USPS for tips. Their online help and phone help sucks.

TheMusketeer said:
I just called post office again, and they said that when it says undeliverable the package would be definitely be shipped back to the sender. So for sure it's not at my area. In addition, it will take about a week to reach your address.

cyberjihad said:
Just wanted to give you an update and let you know I am still tryign to tackle this issue. I am off on Wednesday and that will give me time to dig deeper than I am right now... I cannot get a single live person on any of their phone numbers on their website.... live chat has no agents available to help... this is all I am really capable of while I am working.... so i will give you another update on thursday if any progress has been made.

TheMusketeer said:
The post office guy said the item will be shipped back to the shipper's address.
cyberjihad said:
This is the address I used

edited out
edited out
edited out

Also tracking number isn't giving me shit... I am going to call the post office I dropped it off at and see if they have it.

TheMusketeer said:
Yup. Did you make a prepaid label on paypal? I know the address stated on my account is correct because I've recently purchased other 260s and they came to my address perfectly. Yea. It says undeliverable, and I called the post office hoping I could pick it up he said that it has already shipped back to your address.

cyberjihad said:
Aw what the fuck.... well I guess I will just re-try. I only went to the post office and spent 16 bucks to ship this. Wonder what the fuck went wrong. This is pretty aggravating tho. It just says undeliverable? Anything else?

TheMusketeer said:
Hey man, I checked the package status and it says undeliverable. I also called my local office and they said that the address you stated might have been incorrect? He said it is being delivered back to your address. You have my address right?

LMK

Thanks
cyberjihad said:
tracking number is edited out

TheMusketeer said:
Payment Sent!!
I assume you are going to ship the two cards today.

Thanks
cyberjihad said:
A confirmation? I have them in my hands and they are ready to be shipped. I am waiting for money in paypal before I run to the post office.

TheMusketeer said:
Ok. When u sending them? Need a confirmation. I'll send payment to the paypal e-mail promply once answered.

Thanks
cyberjihad said:
I have the cards, they're in great shape. One even has the backplate. Can we move things along?

DO NOT cancel the PayPal claim ....once canceled that cannot be re instated...as far as cyberjihad...search around and you will see this is not his first rodeo...he should probably get out of the trading business...he sucks at it.

EDIT: I just want to add that anytime someone says " my buddy shipped it, Ill check with them " they are probably full of shit....

Last edited:
There was a time when I sold something and I wrote the apartment # wrong. It ended up at his next door neighbors house, than back to me. Once tracking showed returned I refunded and apologized. Shipping mistakes happen, but take responsibility for it.

not to mention that's his 50 dollars not yours. So he needs to refund you and collect his insurance. If he felt the package was worth more than $50 he should have paid for extra insurance

I had the similar issue. I sold something on ebay. It was showing in tracking "Undeliverable" I notified the buyer, he went to post office and picked it up.

I already went to the post office and talked to the manager personally. They say that they don't have the package.

I had the similar issue. I sold something on ebay. It was showing in tracking "Undeliverable" I notified the buyer, he went to post office and picked it up.

I am just going to point out that there is another post on here about the same guy. It is clear that he had no intention of selling or doing anything honest with both of you, I hope you get your money back.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040826581#post1040826581

Never mind I feel dumb now, sorry

I live in Colorado , if there is a post office you want me to go to.I can follow up with the postmaster there.

Let me know

Not that its hard to figure out exactly who the guy is from his e-mail address in heatware. If it ends up getting into a fraud type investigation for police, you have a real name to go with a username.

Back