Question Regarding New iPad

Puterguru

2[H]4U
I've purchased one for my wife for Christmas. I would like her to open it up and immediately start playing with it so I have a few questions. I need to determine if I should open it up and take care of a few things first or leave it as is unopened.

Does a new iPad come fully charged?
When I put in her account info in iTumes will it automatically download the apps she has paid for on her iPhone or do those need to be bought again?

Meh maybe I'll just open it anyways to install the latest IOS 4.2 but still would like to know about the other questions.

Thanks!

It has a Lithium Polymer battery in it - "battery memory" problems haven't been a problem for nearly 10 years now. That was a Ni-Cad and other battery type issue long since resolved. You can plug it in anytime you want, and no it probably won't have a full charge on it but it'll be charged to some degree.

It won't hurt to charge it but she can of course use it while it's plugged in. You never have to worry about "battery memory" type issues of years past. In fact, Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion batteries actually do better when you keep them "topped off" meaning keep it charged up as much as you can. Whenever you can plug it in and keep it plugged in, do it. There's no chance of overcharging and it won't damage it at all.

As for the apps, if she's purchased apps before, they'll be stored in the iTunes directory on the hard drive - when she syncs the iPad the first time, she'll be able to transfer the apps to the iPad without issues. At least that's how it should work... if needed iTunes will allow you to re-download the actual apps again, it does keep a record of things purchased.

I got a ipad not to long ago. You have to connect it to itunes before you can do anything. Fully charge it before you unplug it. I would download a free app called ibooks. Maybe buy her a few of her favorite books. I dont know if it will download the other ones but it might. You could maybe take it out of the box get some cool stuff on it for her then put it back in the box.

Hope that helps

It ships charged. It will not necessarily be 100% charged.

When I put in her account info in iTumes will it automatically download the apps she has paid for on her iPhone or do those need to be bought again?
You won't have to repurchase any apps, but in some cases you may need to buy an iPad-specific version of an existing app for the "full iPad experience" (when developers feel particularly greedy). Some apps are just iPhone/iPod touch apps that run windowed on the iPad while others are Universal: They are optimized for both the iPhone/iPod touch and the iPad. If she already owns any Universal apps, the iPad will receive the iPad-optimized version once it's synced for no additional cost.

It can be confusing when you have never used a pad before just what to do.

A fresh pad can be intimidating to the unititiated, but don't worry, I think your wife will be able to handle her pad when you give it to her.

I've purchased one for my wife for Christmas. I would like her to open it up and immediately start playing with it so I have a few questions. I need to determine if I should open it up and take care of a few things first or leave it as is unopened.

Meh maybe I'll just open it anyways to install the latest IOS 4.2 but still would like to know about the other questions.

Thanks!

This sounds more like you want to play with it for a bit then put it back under the tree for her. Don't do it! :D (I would never hear the end of it if I did that.)

As others said, it should be fine with apps she has already bought. Sync and go!

Quite right. In which case you should definately prepare the ipad before giving it to her. Upgrade to IOS 4.2 and dowload and play Infinity Blade. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I will crack her open, get the latest updates. Sync it with her iTunes, install all the apps and wrap it back up. :)

I would update to 4.2, but not install all the apps. Do it together with her, or let her do it on her own later. Otherwise it can be a little overwhelming when opening it IMO.

Back