Question regarding GTX 770 and Corsire HX520W PSU

Nielo TM

Gawd
I am planning on buying the MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr (Gaming Edition), which has 2x 8 pin connectors and comes with two 6 to 8 pin adapters. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to upgrade my aging PSU. So I would like know if the HX520W can handle the 770?

Link to the PSU specs
: http://www.corsair.com/en/hx520w.html

PS: I know its the weekend, but would like an answer ASAP as the card is on offer ATM.

if you dont have money to upgrade your aging psu then you probably should not be spending 650 bucks on gpus. plus if you go 770 sil then you really need 4gb models going forward so thats actually 750 bucks.

I'm not going to SLI it. ATM, it's only £230. A good PSU would set me back another £70-80.

I did some digging and it seems to be OK. But just want to make sure (or least hear from someone who have similar set-up to mine).

Last edited:
sorry for some reason I had SLI in my head. your psu is plenty fine for a single 770. I have the same card and my system pulls about 350 watts max at the wall. your cpu uses a few less watts than mine too.

cannondale06:

770 seems to be working perfectly fine. No problems so far. But the GPU default and boost clocks seem lightly lower than advertised. Just want to make sure the numbers add up

I think we both have the MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming (Overclock Edition). N770TF 2GD5/OC

10qw2vd.jpg

cannondale06:

770 seems to be working perfectly fine. No problems so far. But the GPU default and boost clocks seem lightly lower than advertised. Just want to make sure the numbers add up

I think we both have the MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming (Overclock Edition). N770TF 2GD5/OC

http://oi40.tinypic.com/10qw2vd.jpg
that's exactly what mine shows too so don't worry. The advertised speeds were for the OC mode when using the gaming app from MSI.

Thought as much. The card is already hitting 80c when running Unigine heaven and valley. So I guess additional speed won't make a difference. I guess I need a bigger case. The card seems to be blocking the airflow.

2zhl9if.jpg

Last edited:
yeah you need some better airflow. the highest temp I have seen it is 76 and that was in Crysis 3 when I was over clocking.at stock speeds it will not go over 71 or 72 in heaven.

I'll get a decent case during spring. Otherwise I may not be able to use in the summer lol

Back