Question regarding 8800 GT 512mg vs. 8800 GTS 320mg

Salifaster

n00b
I need help figuring out if I got an upgrade or actually an inferior replacement model. My original video card that came with my computer was an EVGA 8800 GTS 320mg that was factory overclocked. I was having some trouble with some horizontal spikes while playing MOH Airborne and CoD4 (something that just started happening recently), so after a few tests, Gateway's tech support decided to send me a replacement card to see if that resolves the problem. What I received was an EVGA 8800 GT 512mg card because I'm assuming they don't offer the 8800 GTS 320s anymore. Looking at the specs for each, it's hard for me to determine if I made out or got screwed, as the new GT does not say anything about being overclocked on the card itself or on the invoice, even though they are advertising this card in their current FX systems as being overclocked. Is there a way to tell if this GT is overclocked? My original GTS had "Factory Overclocked" printed on the card. Does it even matter that the new one is or isn't? My system is an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4mhz with 4gb RAM running Vista at 32-bit. Comparing the two cards, the GTS sure looks much more impressive.

I have only a few days left to either return the GTS and keep the GT or call them and tell them I want another GTS model (if that's even possible at this point.)

Thanks for the input.

Gene

The GT is much better.
Whether its clocked or not is mostly irrelevant.
You can clock it yourself with Rivatuner.

Even though the 8800 GT isn't overclocked, it's noticeably better than the 8800 GTS 320 MB, so I'd suggest keeping the 8800 GT as it's an decent upgrade. Sharp practice by Gateway, perhaps, but hardly a rip-off by any means. Most folks here I think would love that kind of "replacement" -- you're getting a better card for free :)

You're lucky, because now you have a better video card (8800GT). Even if your old 8800GTS 320 MB was OC-ed, the new one it's still better. :)

Yes, you got a better card, and luckily they sent you an EVGA - overclocking's covered.

There's really no other answer than the one other forum members already gave you OP: 8800 GT 512 is the better card.

Gateway did you a good service, mainly because the 320MB GTS is not made anymore.:D

Well, the 8800 GT 512 was the replacement for the 8800 GTS 320 anyway, so it makes sense that they send the OP the GT to replace the GTS 320.

Well, the 8800 GT 512 was the replacement for the 8800 GTS 320 anyway, so it makes sense that they send the OP the GT to replace the GTS 320.

Slice it anyway you want, he still got a great card.:D

Thanks for the expert advice, everyone. The GTS went back today.

If I decide to try to overclock it, would it be wise to install an additional fan considering the size it comes with, which is dwarfed by the one in the GTS's?

See how fast it will go while getting ok temps.
If you cant get it fast enough while keeping the temps down look to improve the cooling, whether thats more case airflow or a better cooler, you need to research.

Thanks for the expert advice, everyone. The GTS went back today.

If I decide to try to overclock it, would it be wise to install an additional fan considering the size it comes with, which is dwarfed by the one in the GTS's?

I would simply install RivaTuner and set the fan to automatic. You can program a fan duty cycle that will ramp up the fan speed to meet the temperature demands that is much more efficient than nvidia's. The 8800 GT is a bit noisy over 75% but generally you wont need to go above that unless you really OC it heavily.

There are many posts around regarding RivaTuner and auto fan profiles. Its quite easy to do.

Back