Question regarding 8 pin.

Serpent

2[H]4U
It's a little late now, because I already bought it but I was wondering...

My motherboard requires an extra 8 pin (eps12v) connected to it. So I started looking up extenders and converters. I found a Molex 4 pin to 8 pin, and a dual molex 4pin to 8 pin.

Does the dual molex give more power or it's the same regardless?

You should be able to just use the 4pin in the right side of the 8pin motherboard connector. If it doesn't give you any problems, you should be good to go. Did you do that and now you're having problems? Or have you not connected it yet? I'd be more worried about a PSU that doesn't have a 8pin EPS on it. What kind of PSU is it?

It does have an 8 pin on it, but it was too short to reach. I couldn't use the 4 pin because the motherboard required 20+4pin as the main motherboard power connector.

There was also a 6+2, 6pin wire. Aside from being a bit too short like the 8 pin, the 6+2 doesn't look like it'd fit on the 8 pin slot no matter how I arrange the +2 pins, correctly or not.

I'm not having problems now, as I bought the dual molex to 8 pin. I was just wondering if there was an actual difference.

All of those extra pins are for extra power. The issue is that if there is too much amp draw and not enough pins then there is a potential to overheat solder joints and reduce reliability. Probably important if you have a lot of hard drives or cards that use the MB power supply only.

The 6+2 pin is for PCIe power connectors. I see what you're saying. You need an 8 pin EPS extender. There main difference is what rail of a 12v multi rail PSU. An 8 pin EPS connector can run just fine with only a 4 pin in the connector (much of the time). If you're overclocking or have a high TDP processor then the motherboard might have problems supplying enough power. With some motherboards using a 4pin in the 8pin connector can cause some strange problems. Why will the 4pin EPS reach and the 8 pin won't?

Oh, the 4 pin doesn't reach either (the 8 pin slot), but I disregarded as it's part of the motherboard's main power, the 8 pin is in another slot in the top corner.

I'm using GA-X58A-UD3R.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

The second pic has an image of it nice and laid out. Notice how the main mother board power is on the middle right (or in accordance to that image, it's bottom middle)? The 8 pin slot is in the top left (or top right). For a bottom mounted psu case (pc-k58w) the wire won't reach the 8 pi slot.

I don't know what you're thinking, but that 4 pin that's part of the motherboard connector should NEVER EVER be plugged into the CPU connector. Some power supplies (especially older ones) have a 4 pin CPU connector before the 8-pin CPU connector became standard.

Dual molex supposedly provides "cleaner" power than just one molex, but in most cases does not make a difference.

Make things simple on yourself and just get a 8-pin extender.

What cpu connector? you've lost me... And I've never tried, as I've said I've disregarded it because it's part of the 20+4 pin.

I've already got the dual molex to 8 pin. I was just asking for reference regarding the difference between dual and single molex to 8 pin converters. Which btw, thanks for answering my question.

Back