Question RE: Slot A cooling (AMD Athlon 700)

C_H_A

Limp Gawd
I just received an AMD Athlon 700 on an Asus K7M mounted inside, what looks like, an older Antec case with 2 80mm case fans.
The CPU has a stock HSF on it. The fan is loud as heck & I was wondering if I can run it without the fan or is heat an issue with this processor?
It's a very large heat sink & the fan is very small.
I won't overclock this & it will be used primarily for my kids (non-graphic intensive) games and word processing/browsing.

Thanks!

iirc with my old Slot A 700Mhz Althon it had a large black heatsink with two 40mm fans on it. MBM reported the cpu temperature to be around 35C, although from a few old reviews apparently that heatsink is very good.
I dont think you'd get away with running it passively, but if you want to do a little modding you could try making a duct/mount so that you could use something like a single 80mm fan. Also some decent thermal compound will help too (that 35c was with any old goop). Unfortunately my slot A mobo no longer seems to work so I havent been able to play around with it in a long time, if i ever get it alive though I might investigate some kind of ducting for it though.

Thanks for the reply.
I might give it a try. If worst comes to worse then I can just fork out a few bucks for a socket A mobo & processor.

I had one of those slotted thingys once on a K7V board. I bought a couple of HSF units because I thought AMD was going to be using that style for a while :( Anyway I got some HSF units from www.aocusa.com that had dual 50mm fans on it and it seemed quiet. I believe they still sell several units for the Slot A's.

Back