question re: secondhand BIP 120.2 rad

Brodel

Limp Gawd
Hey,

This is my first time watercooling and I've been looking at getting a secondhand BIP II rad, the one in question has a lot of paint flaked off the shroud, the seller has said this is because it is one of the first editions and it was a common problem. I was just wondering if there were any other known issues with the first versions of the BIP II and if buying a secondhand rad is a good idea?

thanks in advance

As long as it doesn't leak, it should be OK. Just cosmetic damage..

I always buy secondhand parts if I can. Those BIP's are solid... You'd REALLY have to WANT to destroy them to get them to leak.

Worse comes to worse you could try a trick a buddy of mine did with the tanks on his car rad. He'd scrape as much of the paint off as he could then get the rest off by lightly sanding the tanks and after that switch to a finer grain of sandpaper (being careful of the solder joints mind you) and finally polishing them with a good quality polishing compound followed by brasso. In the end his rads look fantastic and really set off his engine bay when the hood was up...of course having $10,000 in chrome under the hood helped dress things up a bit too.

Arcygenical said:
I always buy secondhand parts if I can. Those BIP's are solid... You'd REALLY have to WANT to destroy them to get them to leak.
i beg to differ.......

*tighten*
*tighten*
*tighten*
*slip*
*gouge*
FUCK!

the thin walls on those flat tubes are good for performance, but not so sturdy when you make a stupid mistake like i did.

i blame the blonde gene, BTW.

though a rad shop here in town had it fixed quick and cheap.

With my first BIP, it was more of a

enlarge holes with drill
slip
fill
leak
FUCK!!

A good bit of epoxy putty fixed it.

Arcygenical said:
Why'd you enlarge the holes? For fan screws?

Yea, the stock ones were about -----><----- small. Not to mention my fans are the type with the solid corners, so standard fan screws wouldn't work, so I pulled out some machine screws, and they were a bit big, so enlargement.

For future reference ;)

6-32 x 1" screws will affix any fan to any Black ice radiator. The older ones (BIP) came unthreaded, so you had to thread them yourself with the screw as you went.

The new Stealth types come threaded, and anything larger than a 1" screw WONT fit in (the older BIPs could accept any length, as they'd just rip through a couple of fins, the new ones have a tube in the way).

:)

Back