Question on Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal...

Darkswordz

Gawd
I have a new 7820X coming soon, which will be de-lidded and have the stock TIM replaced with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.

I was also planning on using the Thermal Grizzly between the IHS and my Corsair H115, replacing the current Arctic MX-4. However, the instructions say it absolutely cannot come into contact with aluminum. I noticed the base of my H115 copper plate has screws running all around it.

r7qjhw.jpg

Is there any way to know if these screws are made out of aluminum or steel? Would getting the liquid metal on these screws cause any issues?

I don't know if they are aluminum or not (i kinda doubt it) but if you have got a magnetic screw driver you can probably find out if the tip holds it is probably steel and if it doesn't it is likely aluminum and whatever ..

blah blah blah most of the stuff I have seen suggest using the thermal grizzly for the delid die to IHS and normal paste for the block mount for ease ~ safety.. but up to you.

I would highly doubt those screws are aluminum. I have taken those apart and I think I would remember if they were not steel. That said, a little dielectric grease over the heads to keep the TIM from seeping in there would not be a bad idea. I use Super Lube!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep... aluminium is a terrible material for making screws out of. Far too expensive and far too soft.

Where specialty fasteners are required, they're much more likely to be made of titanium instead of aluminium as it has far better mechanical properties whilst still saving weight.

You can bet the screws in there are 99% going to be plain old steel.

Back