Question on the benefits of Gsync

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
Ok I was browsing my local craigslist looking to see if there were any computer deals to be had. And I saw what I can only presume was some sort of anomoly. A gaming PC with a GTX 1060 to run a Dell 1440p display with Gsync.

How the hell is that GPU supposed to properly feed a 144hz refresh rate monitor? I wouldn't want to do it on my GTX 1070. Maybe on a 1080 or 2070 without RTX. But still.

Is the gaming experienced really that much improved on low end video cards with a Gsync display?

Ok I was browsing my local craigslist looking to see if there were any computer deals to be had. And I saw what I can only presume was some sort of anomoly. A gaming PC with a GTX 1060 to run a Dell 1440p display with Gsync.

How the hell is that GPU supposed to properly feed a 144hz refresh rate monitor? I wouldn't want to do it on my GTX 1070. Maybe on a 1080 or 2070 without RTX. But still.

Is the gaming experienced really that much improved on low end video cards with a Gsync display?

Considering a 970 and even lower will play a lot of the AAA titles at 140+FPS, it's certainly a benefit to be able to take advantage of those extra FPS w/o the screen tearing/etc if you get some frame drops and frame rate decreases in busy scenes.

The clarity and lack of refresh blur is also very very beneficial.

The ONLY reason you want/need gsync is when you can NOT provide enough fps for the monitors hz
if you can provide the needs fps to satisfy the HZ, gsync does nothing for you

and the different is huge if you want to avoid tearing ( if you dont care for hving no tearing you just run with no sync at all)

144hz monitors. lets say 98fps if unrestricteds
vsync dobuel bufferd = 72fps effectives
vsync+ triplebuffering = 98 fps but some microstutter/uneven framedispaly times ( and tripelbuffering under DX is horried due to a quered and not rotating buffering system
gsync + double buffering = 98 fps and the most smooth of them

Last edited:
Huh, well then I am glad I asked. That is interesting. So it will help an under-preforming system look smooth in game play. Interesting. Thanks. I might have to consider getting one here in a while.

Huh, well then I am glad I asked. That is interesting. So it will help an under-preforming system look smooth in game play. Interesting. Thanks. I might have to consider getting one here in a while.
Basically you don't have to worry about FPS with VRR tech such as G-Sync so long as you're staying above 30. It smoothes out judder and tearing, but you'll still need to adjust quality settings to avoid stutter and other performance issues.

That is the entire purpose pf gsync/freesync is for helping underperforming system.
If your system is strong enough gsync/freesync does nothing for you

Also you can get close to the same benefits from enable triplebuffing for OpenGL games and Fast Sync for DirectX games

It's an evil evil thing.

As you can't live without it once you've had it. Which is shit when you're in the market for a new monitor.

I paired a gsync 144 hz monitor with a 1060 3GB.

Wooo that was nice and smooth

1 more generation of cards and 4k@ 120-140 isn't going to be exactly rare.

Not even rtx Artifact black_sod on arrival Sli rigs can push mankind divided at 4k 120-140,
it'll be at least 2 to 4 more gens, each gens has 19%~39% boost in performance, 45+% if we're lucky

Last edited:
That is the entire purpose pf gsync/freesync is for helping underperforming system.
If your system is strong enough gsync/freesync does nothing for you

The entire purpose of G-Sync is to eliminate tearing the way V-Sync does, but without the input lag and stuttering that V-Sync incurs. Lag free, tear free gaming.

It's effective at every level of performance. While it does help underperforming systems to a degree, slow framerates are still slow, and long frametimes will still be evident as stutter. Those issues just won't be compounded by the frame path to the display panel and instead will be presented as rendered.

Freesync is a half-assed attempt at offering what G-Sync does for Nvidia cards on AMD hardware. It's less flexible with respect to performance and monitor implementations vary wildly, and due to it being a mostly software solution, game incompatibilities arise. It can offer a comparable experience but significant research on the hardware and software to be used beforehand is recommended.

The entire purpose of G-Sync is to eliminate tearing the way V-Sync does, but without the input lag and stuttering that V-Sync incurs. Lag free, tear free gaming.

You are basiccally saying the same thinsg im saying but without knowing the underlying reasons for what you are saying.

the reason you get laf and stutter under vsync is because you hz is not in sync with you fps so you have to wait another refrech cycle to swap the buffers.
When that is NOT the issues aka you FPS is fast enough to lie v up to every refresh cycles. gsync = vsync. becuse you they wil lrun the same ( actualyl there is a miniscule input delay from gsync itself so in this case vsync runs unmeasruralbe better)

its not effective at any level of performance
at 120fp/120hz plese tell my how delaying the 120hz down will helps vs running 120fps/120hz
With 160fps/120hz fastsy syn will allow you to have 160fps with no taering gsync will not

so again this ishowing you mighg not really know the underlaying functions of how this works and are just spouting markteting stuff

I know exactly why I'm saying what I'm saying, thanks.

erm OK...

advice to OP
whenever somebody is talking about X-sync. notice if the bring up the term frambeuffer.
If not you can mostly consider what they lacking basis of technical merits. understanding framebuffers is mandatory to understanding X-sync.

Last edited:
It's an evil evil thing.

As you can't live without it once you've had it. Which is shit when you're in the market for a new monitor.

Well, you could buy a Freesync monitor instead. Nothing's forcing you to buy Gsync. I get that it's the point of the thread, but you're not just restricted to it and a higher price tag. I just bought an LG 29WK600 ultrawide for $200 with a 40-75hz freesync range, so it's not like there's no other options.

If the OP wants to stay within Geforce/Gsync, then sure, get ready to always spend more. Unless Freesync/VRR finally bring Nvidia to support standards.

Well, you could buy a Freesync monitor instead. Nothing's forcing you to buy Gsync. I get that it's the point of the thread, but you're not just restricted to it and a higher price tag. I just bought an LG 29WK600 ultrawide for $200 with a 40-75hz freesync range, so it's not like there's no other options.

If the OP wants to stay within Geforce/Gsync, then sure, get ready to always spend more. Unless Freesync/VRR finally bring Nvidia to support standards.

So to save money on a monitor I just have to spend more to get a new graphics card too... riiiight. I along with many many enthusiasts will not get AMD again until they are competitive so it’s a non starter.

I’d love it if Nvidia supported Freesync, just as I’d love it if 10 bit color worked for Adobe products without Quadro but they’ve got no motivation to and there’s nothing on the horizon to change that.

Back