Question on Steam VR and multiple Oculus sensors

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I'm running an Oculus with 3 sensors. The little Steam VR popup has an icon in it to represent the Oculus, a little icon for each of my Touch controllers, and 2 icons to represent sensors. There is no third icon to represent the third sensor. In addition, when in Steam VR with the Oculus on, I can see the images of the two front sensors represented in the VR world but if I look behind me I don't see an image for that third sensor.

How do you tell if Steam VR is actually "seeing" your third sensor? And if its not, how do you tell Steam VR to recognize it? I don't think its actually using my rear sensor because in games where I turn my back to the two front sensors, it seems to lose tracking.

Thanks!

It's supposed to show all of them in the popup. Can you confirm with the oculus software that the third sensor is actually working?

I had to play around with the ports to get it working with 3 cameras. I also bought the pic-e to usb 3.

Thanks pj,

I'll confirm in the Oculus Home software when I get home from work today.

Hagrid,

You had said

...I also bought the pic-e to usb 3...

I'm not sure what that means?

The usb's did not like being all on the same controller or something. I had to swap around to different ports. The pcie to usb was for more ports/controllers. I may be wrong on the controller part though. But it works great now.

So if you buy a PCI-E to usb 3 card, say 4 ports, you cant run everything off that one card?

So if you buy a PCI-E to usb 3 card, say 4 ports, you cant run everything off that one card?
From what I understand, they like to be on their own controller. Some MB's have several usb controller chips. They use some pretty good bandwidth I assume which is why they need their own usually.

From what I understand, they like to be on their own controller. Some MB's have several usb controller chips. They use some pretty good bandwidth I assume which is why they need their own usually.

To be a little more specific: Oculus recommends you keep it to no more than 2 sensors per controller. I have two of my sensors on a PCIe USB3 controller, and my 3rd on one of my motherboard's USB2 ports.

You actually can connect more than 2 sensors via USB 3. The trick is you need more than one USB 3 controller. I have a 4 sensor rift setup, all running on USB 3 but I had to install two Inatek PCI-E expansion cards to make it work. The one I linked is the one that seems to be the current community suggestion in terms of which one is best.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rather than installing multiple cards, another option is to purchase a PCI-E card that has dedicated USB controllers, one per each of its USB 3.0 ports. I started out with the Inatek, but ended up switching to this one instead which has been working flawlessly with my 3 sensor Rift setup: StarTech PEXUSB3S44V

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back