Question on SLI and Sound Card Layout

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
I have a Rampage X99 Motherboard and right now I have 2 EVGA GTX 980ti's ACX cards and a SoundBlaster Recon sound card at the bottom of the second card. Just wondering if you think I should look to move that Sound card to another slot or should it be ok? Its blocking part of the one of fans on the bottom.

Here is a pic showing the layout:

IMG_1735.jpg

I don't see anywhere you could really move the soundcard? Unless you're running 4k I'd just ditch the SLI one 980ti should do the trick.... Or you need to go water/reference design.

I actually just ended up getting a external card and it's helped with heat issues. Similar setup over here.

I don't see anywhere you could really move the soundcard? Unless you're running 4k I'd just ditch the SLI one 980ti should do the trick.... Or you need to go water/reference design.

I have a 4k Setup. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or should I just go with the onboard audio?

That is where I have mine on the Rampage. it's the only way to have both cards running at 16x PCI-e 3.0.

That might work. Just monitor your temperatures closely while running furmark and see that nothing goes out of range.

Thanks, I think I am going to sell off the ZXR and just use the onboard sound for now. With the onboard sound will I be able to use a DAC with it? I currently have the PC360 Headset with Mic.

Thanks, I think I am going to sell off the ZXR and just use the onboard sound for now. With the onboard sound will I be able to use a DAC with it? I currently have the PC360 Headset with Mic.

If you are talking about feeding an external DAC/AMP from the onboard audio via optical then yes. I'm doing that at the moment as USB audio only goes up to 96K as opposed to 192k over optical. Using onboard for digital signals has no bearing on audio quality.

If you are talking about feeding an external DAC/AMP from the onboard audio via optical then yes. I'm doing that at the moment as USB audio only goes up to 96K as opposed to 192k over optical. Using onboard for digital signals has no bearing on audio quality.

Sweet then I will do some shopping now!

Back