Question on Server 2008 R2 upgrade

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to do some testing with the Server 2008 R2 RC release. Only question I have, will I be able to upgrade the RC of R2 to the official release when it comes out in September/October? I assume I can, but I just want to be sure as reinstalling Server 2008 is not an option once R2 is officially released.

Are you running RC in a production environment?

Once R2 is release, its safest to do a clean install of Server 08 R2 for production use

Are you running RC in a production environment?

Once R2 is release, its safest to do a clean install of Server 08 R2 for production use

Nope, I have Server 2008 for my own personal use. I mostly use it to study for the MCITP and work related testing. I just spent all summer setting up the server how I want it and dont want to go through a fresh install again. I am testing some Windows 7 and Server 2008 stuff for work and need R2 installed as well. I know with the Windows 7 Beta and RC you cant upgrade it to the official release once its out and just wondering if its the same with R2.

Why don't you just image your current install and use Hyper V to create a VM with the RC on it, with the current as the base.

Converting RC's to to the official RTM's can sometimes be very iffy...

What about setting up a second server, replicate it and then promote it to DC. I was hoping that is what I could do with Server 2008 to R2 when I build a 64 bit capable server.

R2 RTM is out on Technet. If you don't have a subscription, you should....

Does that have a time limit on it? I am interested in getting a Technet subscription to get acquainted with R2 and Exchange 2007/2010, but all the places I have searched have said that it is a 120 day evaluation. I know the Windows 7 RTM's have no evaluation period, and I was hoping that was the same for Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2007

Those 120 day evaluations are for people who do not subscribe to Technet Plus.

You get full retail licenses for evaluations purposes that do not expire when you subscribe to Technet.

Back