Question on Painting a case

thebaest

Limp Gawd
So I am new to [H]ard and I have been building custom computers for a long time and am finding these forums to be totally awesome! Anyway, after browsing the "rate my cables" and seeing some awesome paint jobs, I have been inspired to do one myself. I have never painted the inside of a case before and wondering if theres anything I need to know before hand. i.e. kind of paint, any kind of prep work that needs to be done, and if theres any possibility of the paint chipping. I am building my roomy a computer next week and wanting to know all the negatives so I can do it right the first time. I am sure someone has posted a thread on a "how to" for it, but theres so many to look through :(
*preemptive thanks* :)

I will be sure to post the pics of it when I am done!

Any surfaces that are glossy need to be roughed up a bit for the paint to stick better. Just get some sandpaper and lightly rub across the area until the shine is gone. You can smooth it out with a higher grit afterward if you want. I just use regular rattle cans for my paint, but anything will work really. If you are worried about paint scratches and chips just do a few coats of your primary color, and then clear coat over that. The clear coat will protect the paint really well. I usually do about 3-4 coats of paint and then a clear if it is something that is going to be prone to scratches, like a computer side panel. Just be sure to take off as much equipment as you can (ie. front panel connectors, switches/buttons, tool-less sliders for drive bays). It's easier to just remove these parts rather than try to tape off connectors or paint under one side of a slider, and then slide it forward and paint under the back side of it. Just take your time and learn as you go. Painters tip: Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat.

Thanks :) I am not planning on painting anything on the exterior of the case, just the interior. One of my biggest concerns was if heat would cause any problems with the paint later on down the road

The inside of a case won't get hot enough to damage the paint so no worries there.

Do you plan on taking the drive cages out? If so, I recommend using plati dip. It sprays on like paint, but dries to rubber. Then just a couple coats of dull clear coat. It will look better then any spray paint because it dries even and it doesn't run.
DSC00291.jpg

i bought couple cans of paint, always thinking of painting my laptop, but wtv, yea, i found a LOT of things on youtube about this, the general thing i seemed to get was

1. prime
2. sand
3.paint
4. sand
repeat step 3 and 4
5. gloss

For the interior of a case I find that simple matte black is very simple, looks good, and is easy to get right. Gloss is much harder to get an even, smooth coat. Now the exterior... whole 'nutha ball game :)

Back