Question on OCing shader-unlocked 6950 w/ CCC

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
I used RBE to unlock the shaders on my 6950 last night. Right now I have the power set to +20% in CCC with the GPU/MEM set to the standard max overclock (840/1325). I read the entire 6950 unlock poll thread but was unable to determine if there was a consensus on the best setting for the power. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I used RBE to unlock the shaders on my 6950 last night. Right now I have the power set to +20% in CCC with the GPU/MEM set to the standard max overclock (840/1325). I read the entire 6950 unlock poll thread but was unable to determine if there was a consensus on the best setting for the power. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Right now I believe I'm using the 10% setting in CCC, but I'm overclocking with MSI Afterburner so that setting may not even be making any difference as MSI's settings may override CCC's. In any even, I have my GPU clocked at 840/1250 with a voltage of 1105, and I also used the RBE method to edit my BIOS to unlock shaders. Clocking the GPU core any higher than 840 causes the clock speed to become erratic (it will fluctuate between say, 860 and ~802), which seems to indicate from some quick googling to mean that I need to increase the power control setting in CCC to 20%. I haven't tried that yet, but more voltage (i tried up to 1110 irrc) did not seem to help so I have just been making due to 1105 and 840 core for now.

Good info. I've had a couple of game crashes. Not sure it's due to my OC, but that may be the case. Thanks!

No problem. One thing I would suggest after some further testing is to google for the MSI Afterburner 2.2 beta 4, which is supposed to fix the issue of overriding CCC's powertune % setting. Then make sure to set UnofficialOverclocking to 1. I'm now at 1110mv and 900 core set in Afterburner and 20% powertune set in CCC and the core clock is now stable and no longer fluctuates. Hope it helps.

Therefore, you can probably get by with 10% if you don't go above 840 core, but 20% shouldn't hurt things so long as your temps are within reason.

Back