question on image quality on tn vs ips

raknarius

n00b
when people say ips has better quality.

do they mean more accurate colors only, because honestly when im playing a fantasy game i dont care about accuracy wether the troll is green or green/blue hue.

but if its a total overall better image quality, then I care, some people say ips are more immersive, and tns are very washed out, so please help what exactly is ips better at.

thanks to all who help!

idk if TNs suffer from accuracy issues so much as they have viewing angle problems which bother people. They have blacklight bleed, IPS has corner glow. TNs have trouble producing deep and rich dark color. That's what people mean with "washing out", if I understand correctly.

IPS colors "pop" more than TN.

I play fantasy games, too. Color matters. Not so much "accuracy" but "depth". It's annoying when you go into a dark dungeon and everything just looks blackish/grey, instead of being detailed and "dark" with plenty of dark colors that are easily differentiated from one shade to another. That's much more immersive.

Now, I like my TN a LOT, but it's not because of color reproduction (which I think is quite good for a TN) it's because it plays 120fps+ content so much smoother than any other display I've tried. But a good IPS monitor (even a cheap Viewsonic with a wobbly stand) will blow it away as far as color depth.

Like many would say, TN is better for games because of less ghosting, but fail at image fidelity. IPS will have great popping colors, but will suffer when it comes to gaming for it's refresh rate and input lag. They have gotten a lot better (Viewsonic VP2770 pretty much the best IPS like screen for gaming ATM but expensive and 1440p so you need a kickin system to drive that) but is still far away from matching a 120hz TN gaming panel's performance. Decide with tradeoff you prefer and go from there.

Back