Question on Gf6800 Ultra Bios

ricetek

Gawd
Quick question. If i take a nvidia reference board GF6800 Ultra could i flash the bios with lets say a BFG or Asus bios and have it run fine? and what could be the benefit of doing that?

thanks

yes you could.

no benefit really.

flashing an ultra to GT on the other hand, you get the advantage of lower latency ram.

my evga ultra is flashed to a gainward gt.

Tyrant222 said:
yes you could.

no benefit really.

flashing an ultra to GT on the other hand, you get the advantage of lower latency ram.

wouldnt it downclock the ram though???

Tyrant222 said:
yes you could.

no benefit really.

Have you benched this to see a tangible benefit?

2K5 gain of 200 marks

2k3 gain of 200 marks

try it and see for yourself.

as a reference. at 430/1100 on a GT, the same score for an ultra would be 440/1200.

Tyrant222 said:
2K5 gain of 200 marks

2k3 gain of 200 marks

try it and see for yourself.

as a reference. at 430/1100 on a GT, the same score for an ultra would be 440/1200.

That doesn't make sense. Flashing a Ultra to GT speeds? No. Makes no sense. The ram is going to get clocked down. So unless the latency of the ram is set differently between the GT and the Ultra it sounds like one of those great misconceptions perpetuated by the intarweb.

If that made sense than GT owners wouldn't be trying to reach Ultra speeds. So unless someone's got proof that there is a bennifit to this other than 200 points of 3D Mark which is BTW normal testing variance, I don't see why anyone would do this.

Flashing a GT to an Ultra makes sense. You don't have to use software to keep your overclocked settings if you're happy with Ultra speeds and you get a voltage increase.

ricetek said:
how does the bios change the latency of the ram?

The bios of the GT could run the ram at a lower latency, just like a bios on a motherboard. I can't confirm if this is true or not, though. It does sound strange, especially since it's a cut in voltage I'd think.

i know ur topic ask abt the 6800 ultra, but since its abt bios flashing i'd thought i'd share.

i'm using an inno3d 6600gt agp which uses bios version 5.43.02.46 (known as "rev 2" @ mvktech - great source for vga bioses)

my card kept crashing in far cry when i set it to "very high" mode. i tried everything, changed mobo, ram, psu and cpu. then i tried diff drivers from nvdia, vxg and dna etc...

so i thought why not flash to the older "rev 1" which is 5.43.02.41 and the results are great

far cry runs "very high", with water on "ultra" and hdr 7 @ 1280x1024 and frame rates are average at 30+ and nvr go below 24. 3dmark05 scores have increased from 3000 to 3290! :D i'm using a zalman vf700-alcu gpu cooler btw.

the only downside is that the temperature monitor is gone, but that can always be fixed by flashing to other brand's bios.

if u do want to flash ur card and u screw up like i did, it is very easy to do a blind flash. and my last piece of advice is make sure u SAVE YOUR OLD BIOS and make many copies of it and hide them everywhere in ur hse. :p

oh sorry guys i think I got you confused.

basically the GT bios does run the ram at lower latency.

Now this will not let you clock the ram as high as an Ultra would of course, this is common sense.

Now there are programs that let you mess with things like the voltage, so after 1 min run through of a program like nibitor, you have a GT bios with the same voltage as an ultra.

i gaurantee you flashing a GT with an Ultra bios, at the same clock speeds, will only make your benches drop.

the overclock you get out of your ram on the other hand might go up.

200 marks is nothing to sneeze at. When your trying to get the best scores possible at your most stable/artifact free clocks, you know what is a true increase.

to add to the post.

work is always being done to try and get more out of the bios files.

the lovely site created of mvktech is a prime example.

the ideal solution would be an Ultra bios with the ram latency of a GT.

for now that is not possible.

Also on another note. there is not much difference between brands of BIOS files.

Although one exception is Gainward GS series, this bios will allow you to use its expertool software, which can do things like manually change your fan speed.

yes, a GT bios on an Ultra will most definitely boost performance at the same clock speeds, Thugsrock over at anandtech and bleedingedge has been trying to do this since he got his eVGA 6800LE because he was intriqued with the large gains from the GT bios he flashed his card to. the downfall at the time was that the GT bios worked,but killed one of the DVI outputs since the bios was only ment for one DVI and one VGA. he was fairly dedicated to the effort and released many bioses with various tweaks and upgrades for the hhuugeee 6800LE thread over at anandtech when the card was all the rave.

finally Gainward answered his problem with the release of the bios in question.

info

ananad thread

Back