Question on gaming

steaksauce

Weaksauce
I havent been able to get a straight reply to this question, so Ill ask it here. If me and a buddy are going to play the same PC games at the same time, can we do this behind a router?(particularly WoW and Americas Army)

Ive been told that you cant do this due to the router only being able to forward the needed ports to 1 pc, but Ive seen some posts around the internet of people saying they could do this. If a router wont work, what will?

Were also likely to have a Xbox and Ps2 hooked up to the internet as well.

i used to play medal of honor spearhead behind my lynksys router on 2 computers with no problems whatsoever....so i dont think you should have any problems....i got WoW, but the other computer in my house is probably too old to play it, so I cant test that....plus I moved on to a d-link wireless router.....back to the point you shouldnt have a problem....maybe instead of forwarding the ports, instead just open the port for the game on the router....for example on my d-link di-524, in the advanced options,applications, it already has battle.net setup in there. all i did is enable it and it opens the ports for battle.net ie 6112....thats it all there is to it....as far as for my particular router....for others it might be worded differently, but the end result should still be the same...maybe look for port triggering or something like that?

Most games these days have no issues with multiple clients behind a router, WoW inclusive. Most don't require any ports to be forwarded. For the most part, the only instances you will need to forward ports is if you are hosting a multiplayer game.

Uusually, a multiport router is basically a router/switch combo so it should work fine for the home networking between computers without any changes.

I use a router switch combo at home and no changes are needed for most multi player games over the lan. Just make sure all computers are running the the same verisions of the game. That one stumped me for a couple days, then it dawned on me and I felt like a dumbass

steaksauce said:
I havent been able to get a straight reply to this question, so Ill ask it here. If me and a buddy are going to play the same PC games at the same time, can we do this behind a router?(particularly WoW and Americas Army)

Ive been told that you cant do this due to the router only being able to forward the needed ports to 1 pc, but Ive seen some posts around the internet of people saying they could do this. If a router wont work, what will?

Were also likely to have a Xbox and Ps2 hooked up to the internet as well.
It will work just fine.

Back