Question on evga 8800gtx card

Jehuty

Limp Gawd
Hi! I'm on the last stage of building my system, the only thing I need is the video card.

I want to go with eVGA because of the step-up program, and I've been noticing there's several mfg ID numbers for it.

768-P2-N831-AR
768-P2-N835-AR and
768-P2-N837-AR

I'm assuming each is a newer build, but I"m also seeing a difference of pricing on it. What're the differences between each card? :confused: I didn't see this being asked (if I missed it, I apologize).

I realize the new cards are going to be released soon, but I already got the waterblock for it, so... haha

but yeah, any help would be appreciated. thanks! :D

DON'T grab the GTX at this point, you're wasting your money. You could buy a GT and a waterblock, have 95%-100% of the performance, and be out for under half the price anyway. Also, the block may be compatible in any case, go read the expreview article which has measurements and mounting hole locations. The 8800GT is coming out in under a week anyway ;).

EDIT: I suppose I should answer... the difference is the stock clocks on it, that's it. Still, for the love of your poor wallet, wait the couple of days (literally) and get yourself the much cheaper, nearly-equal GT.

Review threads:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163160

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233846

Get a standard clocked one and then OC it yourself, the OCed versions usually aren't that much higher than stock.

Also, the GT hasn't proven to be better than the GTX, so don't expect it to be. Also wait for more reviews to come out.

NV will probably be coming out with new high end cards as well, so you will probably get use out of your step-up :)

EDIT: I suppose I should answer... the difference is the stock clocks on it, that's it. Still, for the love of your poor wallet, wait the couple of days (literally) and get yourself the much cheaper, nearly-equal GT.

Yeah, I plan to wait a week or two before getting the card, as I am also expecting a price drop on the GTX. Then I can just use step-up for the new high end card... though that may mean my waterblock won't be any good D:

So the difference is only the stock clock eh? So, my best bet is to get the N831? (assuming there's a price drop and the gtx still reigns)

jmackay said:
Get a standard clocked one and then OC it yourself, the OCed versions usually aren't that much higher than stock.

Also, the GT hasn't proven to be better than the GTX, so don't expect it to be. Also wait for more reviews to come out.

NV will probably be coming out with new high end cards as well, so you will probably get use out of your step-up

Yep, yep, yep!

AFAIK the step up program pricing is based on MSRP. So retail price drops won't have anything to do with what you pay to EVGA.

For instance EVGA has the base 800 Ultra at $699 msrp while online and local pricing is around $550.

AFAIK the step up program pricing is based on MSRP. So retail price drops won't have anything to do with what you pay to EVGA.

For instance EVGA has the base 800 Ultra at $699 msrp while online and local pricing is around $550.

Which is why step-up is only good when a new product comes out. When the Ultra's launched, they were priced @ $700ish at the online stores too ;)

how does step up work if i bought a new card on ebay? the price on evga says $599 so when the new card comes out, how much would i have to pay evga for the latest greatest gtx?

I believe you have to buy the card from an approved distributer to be able to use the step-up program.

Along with everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new cards will bring to the table. Many people won't be able to rationalize spending $200-250 more for a GTX or Ultra over the 8800GT, but if you want the most performance (and don't want to go SLI), then spend the money if that's what you want. Depends on your disposable income and drive to be able to run 1920x1200 with eye candy. There's always a premium for that last 10-15% of performance.

Guess you could look at getting one of the new 8800GT cards and then seeing what the next refresh brings.

how does step up work if i bought a new card on ebay? the price on evga says $599 so when the new card comes out, how much would i have to pay evga for the latest greatest gtx?

You don't get step-up if you buy off ebay. You might be able to get warranty but probably not.

I bought my evga 8800gtx less than two weeks ago because my old computer died. I have no regrets I got the 8800gtx. It's amazing. I doubt I would exchange it or use the step up program for the GT, but i would really like a new high end release card.

Whatever anyone says at this point it simply makes sense to wait for the GT's to be out next month.

Wish they'd hurry up tho'

I bought my evga 8800gtx less than two weeks ago because my old computer died. I have no regrets I got the 8800gtx. It's amazing. I doubt I would exchange it or use the step up program for the GT, but i would really like a new high end release card.

Amen!

I did the same and no regrets. If a new high end, (1GB 1 TFLOP), comes out within 90 days GREAT, I'll step up. If not, I still have one Kick Ass card that won't be outdated for some time.

-V

Amen!

I did the same and no regrets. If a new high end, (1GB 1 TFLOP), comes out within 90 days GREAT, I'll step up. If not, I still have one Kick Ass card that won't be outdated for some time.

-V

Exactly what i think whenever i buy a new videocard. :D

Back