Question on creating DNS/DHCP/WINS servers for a lab enviroment

techtips

Gawd
Hey guys, to get more understanding on DHCP/WINS and DNS, I've decided to create a 'ACME' company in my virtual lab.

I am going to be making 2-3 sites and I know I need a Domain Controller on each site but I am wondering how would configuring DNS/DHCP and WINS work.

If I have 3 different sites under the same domain, can I use 1 server per site as a DHCP/WINS/DNS server? or would it not be wise to do that and just have 3 separate servers peer site, each server having the its own separate role?
I've been thinking about this for a bit and to make it cost effective for 'ACME', I would assume that I would use 1 server per site with it running the 3 roles. Less hardware needed to purchase which would be a positive thing.

What do you guys think? am I on the right path? I'd like to plan out this topology first to get an understanding before I actually start configuring the server(s) in VMware.

I'd just put them all on the DCs, no real reason not to. I wouldn't bother with WINS unless you absolutely need to have it, AD doesn't need it.

Back