Question: OC a K CPU, but not the Video card?

Orddie

2[H]4U
Trying to push my 8086K processor to 5ghz. Runs OK with CPU bench only but this PC does not have a GPU, so i'm using the built in GPU.

When i OC the CPU, I assume the GPU comes with with it. Is that correct?

Any way to NOT OC the GPU and only OC the CPU?

when i run CPU-z bench, the CPU is stable at 5ghz for over 15 minutes @ 100% usage.. when i use an app that uses the GPU, the GPU crashes (windows does not).
what do you suggest i do next?

Thank you.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the GPU and CPU clocks are different. There should be a whole section in the bios for OCing the iGPU.

Trying to push my 8086K processor to 5ghz. Runs OK with CPU bench only but this PC does not have a GPU, so i'm using the built in GPU.

When i OC the CPU, I assume the GPU comes with with it. Is that correct?

Any way to NOT OC the GPU and only OC the CPU?

when i run CPU-z bench, the CPU is stable at 5ghz for over 15 minutes @ 100% usage.. when i use an app that uses the GPU, the GPU crashes (windows does not).
what do you suggest i do next?

Thank you.

Stop using a crappy test tool
100% usage is not the same as 100% load

its not blah.
If you test with CPU-z and are only loading the CPU 75-80% on that 100% usage
The load on the CPU and GPU can esily go over what you tested for and results in issues or data corruption

Usage does just mean that a thread was scheduled to run on the CPU. not that there was an actual load

putting you CPU at 100% usage with nothing bot NOP and HLT isntructions will incure a close to 0% load at 100% usage
CPU-z is just not a god load testet

A foor loop in .bat file will also easily keep a core at 100% usage but at a very low load

I know it’s not a great stress test using that app.

thank you all for the feedback. Hopefully have it worked out

Don’t follow the question here.

I ended up setting core voltage to 1.4 and things are stable now
I just wonder what they use case is for having a 8086k running 3d applications with no add in gpu. You may have a valid reason that has slipped my mind just trying to learn and understand.

I just wonder what they use case is for having a 8086k running 3d applications with no add in gpu. You may have a valid reason that has slipped my mind just trying to learn and understand.
not really a 3D app, but its a streaming box for twitch.

not really a 3D app, but its a streaming box for twitch.

Arguably a 2060 with an 8400 using new nvenc would be easier to deal with.
Depends on your bitrate and quality target.

Cheapie 1700(x) with an HD60s ran x264 Fast preset fine for me.

Arguably a 2060 with an 8400 using new nvenc would be easier to deal with.
Depends on your bitrate and quality target.

Cheapie 1700(x) with an HD60s ran x264 Fast preset fine for me.

This was hardware I had laying around. Stock ran fine until I did stingers. I’m also taking a 4K 60fps and converting to 1080p 60

I’m not using iGPU

I have two PC’s. One is gaming and the other is streaming.
The 8086K is the streamer. X264 needs CPU only. 6 core at 5GHz fits nicely

8086k @ 1.4vcore... wow.. Im sure it doesnt need that much vcore. that bitch has to be running hot as hell. that is awesome for its life cycle :rolleyes:

8086k @ 1.4vcore... wow.. Im sure it doesnt need that much vcore. that bitch has to be running hot as hell. that is awesome for its life cycle :rolleyes:
I do not follow the comment here.

Temps never went above 80C ty to theNoctua NH-D15 cooler

In the end, i went AMD r7 and it's able to handle the job and than some.

Back