Question . . GigaWorks s700-Upgrade

SoundBlaster

Limp Gawd
Currently I have Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 and there is a set of Gigaworks s700 5.1 and it is upgradable to GigaWorks s750 7.1

I want to buy the these two-way satelittes of GigaWorks s700 and connect them to my creative MegaWorks.

I want to know, if I connect them to my MegaWorks, wether I will get the same quality and power of Gigaworks, considering the specification of MegaWorks sats and GigaWorks Sats can handle 70 Watts.

Is there anybody attempt this operation?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

gigaworks works for gigaworks only. sorry. i wish i had a set of 5.1's as nice as urs tho

Did you try it?

Both have the same power 70 RMS watts, what will happen to the audible sound if we switch the satellites of MegaWorks and GigaWorks?

Can anyone explain?!

Thanks,

i bet it would work. It will probably sound better too, but mayne not worth the upgrade price

OK . . . I from middle east countries and there are only Creative MeagWorks Series shipped to our countries, so I can't try this operation,( I'll buy two-way sats from internet)

I will wait for two volinteer having MegaWorks & GigaWorks to do the test, and their replies !! :)

Thanks for everyone . . . :)

im pretty sure the impedence of the two speakers is the same, so they should work perfectly fine :D i used to have promedias that i hooked up MTX speakers of the same impedence too and they worked nicely :)

So, I 'll two sats of GigaWorks as a front left and front right for at least stereo audio.

The freq response for MegaWorks sats is 20 - 25 kHz, however, the freq response for GegaWorks sats is 25 - 40 kHz. I am wondering, whethr I 'll get the same FR if I connect GigaWorks sats to MegaWorks ? :confused:

That FR is most likely BS anyways, so I wouldn't sweat it. Either way, download a tone generator, see if you can even hear past 15khz, it'll let you know quickly whether you need anything different there =]

Yes this what I mean, if have Gigaworks system just try connect one sats of it to Megaworks from any of your friend who owns Megaworks , and listen to the diifference.

Thanks,

personaly i would say the F is complete crap, they probably drop it by 6 - 9 dB anyways if i was looking for an upgrade i would shy away from 5.1 - 7.1 as te last 2 channels do nothing to the over all sound stage of the product. firstly i would aim at getting a good 4 cghannle setup. and try to move away from PC speakers as such and move onto a system cased on an amp and sepertae speakers, they will give you a much more balanced sound, and in the long run the sudio output will be much more satisfiing. the 4 channels give you the 3d sound stage, why would you need any more speakers? 4 speakers cou8ld in theroy place the sound anywhere, that is if they are good enough. any more and its just trying to make up for poor sterio seperation.

stuman:

I think Dolby Labs might disagree with you on several points.

Companies will state anything to sell their stuff. The tweeters on the Gigaworks sats aren't true supertweeters, because if they were the sats would cost several hundred each. Any tweeter can give detailed NOISE at 40khz, just at -10db or so. And yes, NOISE is correct, because all you will hear is interferance at those frequencies; the source material you will most likely use is 20-20,000hz and you soundcards DACs drop off at around 20khz. Not to mention that you cannot hear anything above 18-20khz anyways. If you are going buy something that will sound better, buy something that will actually make an audible differance. Try some Klipsch SB-1s at vanns.com. They have a 92db sensitivity and can reach ~113dB a pair. They have a response of 60Hz-20kHz±3dB. Ya, four of these will reach ~117dB and will trump any computer speaker system out there.

Oh and yeah, 4 speakers will produce a full 3d soundstage in the sweet spot. The center channel hardly ever is used for real effects and in reality was only added for vocals, which have a very low dynamic range. (80-1000hz in almost all cases). This frees up the mains for highly dynamic effects like explosions and music and such, allowing them to be played louder. Extra channels such as the descreet rear center are practicly useless except for strengthening the soundstage for off-axis listeners (which they hardly do anyways) and to increase total dynamic capacity and volume of the system. (more speakers = more volume)

You mean klipsch sats have better tweeter than Gigaworks sats? And if I connect Klipsch sats to Megaworks Amps, are they able to deliver balanced sound (Sych volume level ) and more detailed treble?

Well they are actually 9lb bookshelf speakers. Umm, yeah pretty much all around better sound. I mean the Gigaworks sats cant be more than $15-$20 each whereas the SB-1s were like $125 each. Now that they are a discontinued product they can be found for around $100 a pair when on sale. Thier components are larger and more refined, with more research involved. Trust me, they sound tremendously better. I don't even use mine with a sub. You may have to turn your front speakers volume down because the Klipsch speakers have a higher sensitivity, and will be quite a bit louder than the Gigaworks sats at any given volume setting.

hooting_monkey said:
Oh and yeah, 4 speakers will produce a full 3d soundstage in the sweet spot. The center channel hardly ever is used for real effects and in reality was only added for vocals, which have a very low dynamic range. (80-1000hz in almost all cases). This frees up the mains for highly dynamic effects like explosions and music and such, allowing them to be played louder. Extra channels such as the descreet rear center are practicly useless except for strengthening the soundstage for off-axis listeners (which they hardly do anyways) and to increase total dynamic capacity and volume of the system. (more speakers = more volume)

So you know, the average soundtrack consists of roughly 70% of the sound field coming from the center alone. I myself would consider that to be relatively important, unless you like comb filtering and flanging artifacts as you downmix out that channel for movies.

Additionally, the only speakers I've heard that TRULY had the soundstage to get away without a center, which I think still would be good idea to really anchor dialog to the screen, are the Onix Reference 3's, a 4500$ pair of floorstanders.

A center which will accurately be represented by a quadraphonic system if both the mains are fed similar signals. I'm not saying a center isn't usefull, but it isn't absolutely a must for an acceptible soundstage. I think given a light budget a person could do without a center, since they are quite a pretty penny, and still get acceptible performance.

It's fun when you can have a semi-realtime argument on a forum =]

While a 4.1/4.0 system can give you a good approximation of a real center channel, it can never be anything more than that, an approximation. No matter what sort of magic a set of speakers has, simply adding more in creates smoother pans, and can alleviate excess distortion by distributing workloads.

If your budget is tight, I would also recommend starting with getting the best mains you can afford, then spring for a good center. Surrounds generally don't have that much of a workout, and can be lived without. However, newer films are taking better advantage of them, which is nice =]

Back