question for those w/ q6600 3.4ghz +++

phudog

n00b
Hey quick question, if you have oc'd ur q6600 to 3.4ghz what kind of case ventilation do you have? number of fans? size of fans? speed of fans? placement of fans? type of hsf? also what are the idle/load (under prime and/or ibt) temps.

just trying to get a insight...
i oc'd my q6600 to 3.0ghz (334 x 9) on 1.215v
have 2 antec tricool fans, 1 in front/1 in back, 120mm fans running on low setting
hsf - hdt-1283 w/ fan at max rpm
idle temps 40-44
load temps under ibt 60-63
nothing lapped used as7 and have reseated 2x same temps...applied as7 by filling in gaps on hsf w/ as7 then applying 2 thin lines b/t the copper pipes.

see pic
3.jpg

The OCability of the Q6600 series varies greatly. The early G0s are generally good OCers, while the later G0s, many won't go past ~3.2Ghz comfortably. It's pretty hit-and-miss.

I can pretty much say that your CPU is born to be one hot chip because the vid is 1.2125. Therefore, there is no point of comparing with others.

What is your motherboard? What kind of case do you have?

See in my sig, I had to utilize WC as I needed vcore of 1.465. And my vid is 1.2375. Before, I used a Noctua nh-u12p with 2 fans, and I idled around 45 and load around 70. Hot for my tastes, but still within spec.

Hrmmm... I am pretty sure my chip has a 1.2625 vid. Doesn't go over 62c full load on Prime95 or Orthos.

I do have lots of fans though... all exhaust except for the side case fan.

1x 120mm fan from an old 80286 power supply (pulls air directly from the top of my case) -90cfm-ish if I remember right.. pretty quiet but really thick.

2x 80mm that exhaust out the back of the case

1x 80mm fan that pushes air into the case on the side.

1x 120mm fan for the heatsink
1x 80mm fan mounted below the heatsink pushing air upwards - also cools the NB heatsink
1x 90mm fan mounted above the heatsink pushing air upwards

1x 80mm fan to help cool the back of my vid card, etc

1x 90mm fan blowing air up towards my vid card at an angle to help cool the SB as well.

1x 120mm fan in the power supply.

have my Q6600 @ 3.78 ghz on Water cooling.

case fans consist of: 230mm 700rpm intake (front), 120mm 1000-2000 variable intake (side), 140mm 1000rpm exhaust (rear), 3x120mm 1000-2000 variable exhaust (radiator/top)

OP, what exactly is your Xigmatek fan's max speed? When I plugged mine into the CPU fan mobo slot it only maxed out at 1500rpm (max is rated at 2200rpm) so I rereouted it directly to the PSU, but I'm not sure that changed anything.

Anyways, your question. I've got the stock Xig fan, stock 120mm Rocketfish front intake and back exhaust fans, and the side 120mm Rocketfish PCI cooling fan. My room temperature is about 70F, give or take 2 degrees. Overclock is (8*450=3.6ghz) @ 1.4825v. I also remove the right case panel for increase ventilation (exposes mobo tray).

Prime95 Small FFTs test makes my CPU peak at around 73/73/67/67 .

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm using a Ultima90 w 69CFM 120x38mm fan and 3 - 120mm fans for the case, one intake, 2 exhaust. Standard P180B setup. I removed all the Antec tricool fans though, they don't move enough air at low and they sound crappy at higher speeds.

My bios is set to 1.425V on a P5E-VM HDMI and with the vdroop mod it's pretty much the same under load. I get temps from 55-60C right now but it's winter still so it'll change for the summer.

400 x 9 = 3600 MHz. Here's my case:
P180Bside.jpg

Picture.jpg

heres a pic of my case. I keep the side on and case enclosed. one intake fan front/bottom and exhaust behind cpu and another make shift side exhaust fan above the cpu. my xigmatek runs at ~1490 rpm never really reaches 1500rpm.

yeah after messing w/ my q6600 i figured i got an older G0 chip and am limited on my oc'ing. any success stories of lapping the ihs to get a lower temps?

oh yeah i have an old asus p5w dh deluxe mobo, which has a fsb wall of ~379

although my idle temps of ~40 degrees C isnt bad since my computer is barely making any noise I wouldnt mind a lower idle temp. kinda jealous seeing the 3.4ghz+ speeds w/ sub 40 idle temps.

edit: ambient temp is around 69 degrees C

Is the vid really a good indication of OCability. My q6600 GO has a vid of 1.275 and it overclocks to 3.5 easily on air.

edit: ambient temp is around 69 degrees C

Oh Really? :eek: You live in 156.2F? LoL. :).
I think it all have to do with ambient temp. My q6600 stays in the low 30's in the winter and mid 40s in the summer. Need new case though since my lian li has shit for air flow.

Oh Really? You live in 156.2F? LoL. .
I think it all have to do with ambient temp. My q6600 stays in the low 30's in the winter and mid 40s in the summer. Need new case though since my lian li has shit for air flow.

hahaha im a lil bit of an extremophile.

Is the vid really a good indication of OCability. My q6600 GO has a vid of 1.275 and it overclocks to 3.5 easily on air.

what kind of temps you getting at 3.5 w/ ur 9700 hsf?

You have yourself a decent chip there, 1.2125 will get you a long way.

With low vid chips like this you'll find yourself with a fair bit more overclocking headroom than someone with, say, a 1.3v vid. At the moment I'm running at 3.4ghz on a g0 1.2v vid. It's being cooled by a Scythe Ninja Mini (I run an sff system in a Lanbox Lite) with two 80mm fans in a push/pull config. My settings are as follows:

CPU voltage (under load) - 1.28v
NB - 1.24v
FSB VTT - 1.19v

Currently running at 425x8 as it gives me a bit more memory bandwidth. I would be very surprised if you couldn't hit 3.6 on a 9x400 with around 1.32-1.34 volts.

There is a fair bit of conjecture surrounding how high a temperature is 'acceptable' for a 65nm quad running 24/7. Some say <60, some say <70, some don't really care. I'd put myself somewhere between the last two categories - as long as you've kept Thermal Management Control enabled in the BIOS the chip will throttle down / shut the system down once it reaches a 'critical' temperature, somewhere around the 95 degrees celsius mark I believe.

I use my system for gaming, video encoding and productivity work, and it's folding on all four cores when it isn't being used. Since it's in a small case with a small cooler it reaches max temps between 62 and 70 degrees, depending on ambients. Personally I'm fine to run it up anywhere up to around 80 degrees, you're far more likely to damage the chip by running silly (1.5v+) voltages through the chip, causing electromigration and an early death.

Anyway, wind her up and find a safe maximum, you'll be good with a good q6600 sample like that.

First, remount your cooler. Something is wrong if you are seeing 61c at 1.13v running 3Ghz. Could be your case airflow or higher ambient temps as well.

Generally, with a low VID of 1.215 you should have some good headroom to OC. That's not always the case though. I've seen some 1.200 VID chips require shit tons of voltage to get past 3.4 Ghz.

Try remounting your cooler, make sure you have adequate case airflow and get a better fan for your S1283. I have dual Yate Loon medium speed 120's in push-pull on my S1283. I never see temps over 60c at 3.6Ghz on my Q6600 (1.275 VID) @ 1.41v.

First, remount your cooler. Something is wrong if you are seeing 61c at 1.13v running 3Ghz. Could be your case airflow or higher ambient temps as well.

Generally, with a low VID of 1.215 you should have some good headroom to OC. That's not always the case though. I've seen some 1.200 VID chips require shit tons of voltage to get past 3.4 Ghz.

Try remounting your cooler, make sure you have adequate case airflow and get a better fan for your S1283. I have dual Yate Loon medium speed 120's in push-pull on my S1283. I never see temps over 60c at 3.6Ghz on my Q6600 (1.275 VID) @ 1.41v.

very nice...but unfortunately i have reseated several times and am pretty sure that the seating of the hsf is not the problem. i have an old arctic freezer pro 7 that I placed on to and the temps were slightly higher a full rpm. i might have to look into an aftermarket fan.

what are the chances that I could return my q6600 to intel for a new one?

I dont think intel will exchange your chip based solely on it no OC'ing well.

Mine cooks at 100% at 3.006Ghz.
79-80*C
Vid of 1.30
:(
I need to cut a new hole in the side and mount a fan since the Freezer Pro blocks the current hole and I can't mount a fan there and I don't want to have a fan mounted to the outside of the case.

My GTX 285 also runs a little hot due to that, 68 idle and 81 loaded.

79-80*C
Vid of 1.30
:(
I need to cut a new hole in the side and mount a fan since the Freezer Pro blocks the current hole and I can't mount a fan there and I don't want to have a fan mounted to the outside of the case.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro is insufficient for an overclocked quad core. It just can't handle the heat load. You need something like a Xigmatech HDT-S1283 / Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer / Coolermaster V8 / TRUE / Megahalems to get the most out of that chip.

68 idle 81 load isn't that hot for a GPU, but then, I'm going by 8800 GTX / G80 numbers which may be a lot different than GT200b numbers. Hell, one of my cards idles at 79C in Tri-SLI. ;)

79-80*C
Vid of 1.30

ouch i guess i cant complain

hey phudog what case is that i kind of like the setup.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pc-93-3-rocketfish-aluminum-full-tower-case-black.aspx
it is the same rocketfish case that was on clearance at best buy several months ago. it is a massive case yet super light. I like the extra space in the case, but the only thing i really dont like is that its not very friendly when it comes to cable management as you can see. some say it is a rebadged lian li case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mputer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Lian-Li-_-11112144)

heres a post of some project using the case LINK

another 120 page post

some pretty crazy ideas...

My go stepping Q6600 does 3.8ghz, cooled by a TRUE black with 2 sharkoon silent eagle 2000 rpm fans in push/pull, load temps of 68-68-62-62.

untitled-2.jpg

The AC Freezer 7 Pro is insufficient for an overclocked quad core. It just can't handle the heat load. You need something like a Xigmatech HDT-S1283 / Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer / Coolermaster V8 / TRUE / Megahalems to get the most out of that chip.

68 idle 81 load isn't that hot for a GPU, but then, I'm going by 8800 GTX / G80 numbers which may be a lot different than GT200b numbers. Hell, one of my cards idles at 79C in Tri-SLI. ;)

Really?

Back