Question for those running Sabnzbd & ZFS/OI

jaypeezee

Gawd
I've got my ZFS box up and running using Gea's All-In-One.... Instead of posting my problem, i'll post what I am trying to accomplish and hopefully someone can guide me as I have searched thick and thin with no such luck...

I would like to (in a nutshell);

Setup SABNZBD where all downloaded content gets saved to the VM pools directly without having to transfer them manually.

Currently,
I have SAB up and running in the OI-VM however, all downloads stay on the disk the VM was created one which is only 12GB in size. This is an obvious problem for several reasons...

I have my ZFS pools up and running and can access them from different computers on the network however when I try and point to the path in SAB, unless I am doing something wrong, it still stores them on the 12GB drive =/

If you are running an all in one it might make more sense to leave the OI VM that controls the storage array as minimal as possible. Set up a another VM (ubuntu would probably be easiest) where you run SAB/Sickbeard/etc.

Personally, I find little need for VMs so I run bare metal Solaris and I run SAB there and its fine, just save to my 8TB RaidZ pool.

If you insist on using the OI VM to run SAB, just simply have SAB save the downloads to the pool you want.

For example if you have a 10TB RaidZ2 called tank mounted at /tank with a ZFS folder media mounted at /tank/media simply tell SAB to download to /tank/media and put the incomplete folder in /tank/media/incomplete (or .incomplete) if you want to hide it.

What do you mean the downloaded content saves to the VM pools, don't the VMs acess the OI ZFS pools via NFS or iSCSI? If you save the data in a shared ZFS folder all your VMs can access it.

I hope that helps. I'm not completely clear what you are trying to accomplish and you didn't give many details on your set up. PM me if you need more help.

Here is a screen shot of my settings:

Iefpa.png

The min free space is set to 20G as if for some reason the zpool isnt available it reverts to downloading onto the 16gig SSD and fills it up, this is annoying. The 20G min prevents this and it just pauses if the zpool isn't available.

I am doing what you want to do.
I have an ubuntu vm running for special reasons...
You need to add some entries to your fstab to mount your zfs folder on boot.
Then you tell Sabnzbd to save your downloads to a folder inside of that zfs folder.

I'm running ESXi All-in-One with OI as a VM+various VMs performing different tasks.

One of them is a Windows VM that runs Sabnzbd. It downloads to a CIFS share on OI, specifically for holding temporary downloads so something else can organize it. I have mapped network drives, but for Sab, I configured the UNC path \\server\share\path due to some early on issues with Group Policy Preferences mapping the drive. I did set the Temporary Drive to be a Virtual Disk since I didn't want my downloads to be interrupted if I had to reboot OI.

I also have another Windows VM running Sickbeard. This is configured to monitor the same CIFS share (mapped as a network drive) that Sabnzbd downloads to.

And finally, I wrap with up with a Plex Media Server Windows VM feeding all that media to my clients. This sits on another ESXi server, but it use to sit in the All-in-One. No issues regardless of where this server sits.

I went all Windows (besides OI and a Linux box for my SSH tunnel) because it made sense with my environment. I run everything in a domain environment so manageability was a lot easier. Plus I ran into a nasty CIFS permissions issue when setting up Ubuntu (one of the later versions, no issues with earlier) for Sickbeard that just settled me on using Windows (7) for ease of use.

Is there any particular reason your not running Sickbeard and Sabnzbd directly on the OI VM? That would probably save you a bunch of headaches.

Wow thanks for the replies guys, I wont have time today to test this out but i'll keep it updated when I get some time tomorrow to try this out!

Is there any particular reason your not running Sickbeard and Sabnzbd directly on the OI VM? That would probably save you a bunch of headaches.

This is what I wanted to do, however it was suggested above not to... I don't have a problem creating an additional VM but, if I don't need to then I'd like to avoid it

On mine I have OI running Sickbeard, Headphones, Couchpotato and Sabnzbd. I just changed all the default directories so as to not run out of space on the root pool.

If you are running and all in one, keep applications on separate VMs this makes everything independent. You can easily upgrade to new hardware and easily backup the VMs.

If you put everything on the OI VM you lose the advantages of virtualization, it can be done but why not use some VMs, linux or windows if you want or even another trimmed down OI VM.

First of all fogive me for my misuse of terminology and lack of knowledge...

@s0rce: I'll probably setup a ubuntu VM for the sake of learning Linux (or my attempt at learning)...

What you described in your initial reply is exactly what I am trying to do... however when I change the settings in SAB, specifically the download folder, it creates a folder in the OI-VM drive which is 12G in size.

On a side note, I am able to access the NFS share via explorer/finder (sorry, i know this is not the proper name) and can copy/paste/move/etc just fine...

Unfortunately I am at work and have not had the time to fire up my ZFS box to play with the suggestions or give screenshots of my settings... however, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to, to give everyone a better understanding of what my issue is.

If you are running and all in one, keep applications on separate VMs this makes everything independent. You can easily upgrade to new hardware and easily backup the VMs.

If you put everything on the OI VM you lose the advantages of virtualization, it can be done but why not use some VMs, linux or windows if you want or even another trimmed down OI VM.
This. If I was going to run all my apps on one OS I might as well not virtualize.

I mean I could also run Sickbeard and Sabnzbd together too, but I decided against it. Makes it cleaner and easier to use and if I need to, I can move the VM to another server.

... Now all I need is vCenter :D

Sorry for being MIA, I just returned from my Boston trip - awesome city btw...

Moving along,

I am doing what you want to do.
I have an ubuntu vm running for special reasons...
You need to add some entries to your fstab to mount your zfs folder on boot.
Then you tell Sabnzbd to save your downloads to a folder inside of that zfs folder.

can you elaborate on fstab? I think this is my issue(s)...

If you are running an all in one it might make more sense to leave the OI VM that controls the storage array as minimal as possible. Set up a another VM (ubuntu would probably be easiest) where you run SAB/Sickbeard/etc.

Personally, I find little need for VMs so I run bare metal Solaris and I run SAB there and its fine, just save to my 8TB RaidZ pool.

If you insist on using the OI VM to run SAB, just simply have SAB save the downloads to the pool you want.

For example if you have a 10TB RaidZ2 called tank mounted at /tank with a ZFS folder media mounted at /tank/media simply tell SAB to download to /tank/media and put the incomplete folder in /tank/media/incomplete (or .incomplete) if you want to hide it.

What do you mean the downloaded content saves to the VM pools, don't the VMs acess the OI ZFS pools via NFS or iSCSI? If you save the data in a shared ZFS folder all your VMs can access it.

I hope that helps. I'm not completely clear what you are trying to accomplish and you didn't give many details on your set up. PM me if you need more help.

Here is a screen shot of my settings:

Iefpa.png

The min free space is set to 20G as if for some reason the zpool isnt available it reverts to downloading onto the 16gig SSD and fills it up, this is annoying. The 20G min prevents this and it just pauses if the zpool isn't available.

I'll shoot you a PM if you insist, or if you wanna keep it in thread is cool with me too...

So i took your advice and created a seperate VM... I've got a Ubuntu VM up and running with SAB also up and running... now, I am trying to access the ZFS folder/mount however I have no idea how to - haha... when I go to the home Ubuntu "file manager" (if you will), I can click on Network > Browse Network and see the zfsserver just fine however when I click on it it says: "Could not connect to zfsserver.local: Connection Refused"

This sounds like what I'm doing.

I'm on ESXI with OI/zfs in a VM. I have another VM on the same box running ubuntu with sab/sb/cp/hp on it. I absolutely would not combine my fileserver (zfs) with my 'services' in the same vm. It adds complications when upgrading your software packages that it may hose up your fileserver. My fileserver is set and working and able to serve media throughout my home without worrying what my other boxes are doing.

You sound like you have a sharing issue. Lookup up fstab and make sure your sab vm is (automatically) mounting the fileserver. It could be the other end as well. Make sure you fileserver is exporting your shares correctly. If you can't even browse the share, it sounds like it's your fileserver rejecting connections.

I considered running each app in it's own VM but decided against it. But that's because of space issues. My ESXi datastore isn't as large as I originally planned so I didn't want to 'waste' the duplicating space. This situation is being re-evaluated and it would most likely change in the next few weeks for me. Once so, I may end up putting each service on it's own VM.

This sounds like what I'm doing.

I'm on ESXI with OI/zfs in a VM. I have another VM on the same box running ubuntu with sab/sb/cp/hp on it. I absolutely would not combine my fileserver (zfs) with my 'services' in the same vm. It adds complications when upgrading your software packages that it may hose up your fileserver. My fileserver is set and working and able to serve media throughout my home without worrying what my other boxes are doing.

You sound like you have a sharing issue. Lookup up fstab and make sure your sab vm is (automatically) mounting the fileserver. It could be the other end as well. Make sure you fileserver is exporting your shares correctly. If you can't even browse the share, it sounds like it's your fileserver rejecting connections.

I considered running each app in it's own VM but decided against it. But that's because of space issues. My ESXi datastore isn't as large as I originally planned so I didn't want to 'waste' the duplicating space. This situation is being re-evaluated and it would most likely change in the next few weeks for me. Once so, I may end up putting each service on it's own VM.

Thanks for the reply... I think the general consensus is a mount issue but seeing as I have very little nix knowledge, i'm stumped... here's a copy of my fstab

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=aba763f1-acca-4d5d-b217-5272b932244f /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=4eb718b9-6e5f-487f-aa2b-6f66477448ae none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Thanks for the reply... I think the general consensus is a mount issue but seeing as I have very little nix knowledge, i'm stumped... here's a copy of my fstab

If that's all you have in your fstab, then you aren't mounting the shares.

You should have at least one more line pointing to your fileserver. Something like this:
Code:
//server/share   /media/share  smbfs   auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uuid=1000,umask=000,user    0       0
//server/share   /media/share  cifs    credentials=/root/.credentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777      0       0
Or even nfs, depending on how you shared/exported it.

Mine is set for as all open and fully trusted because this is my personal home server. So I'm not worried about physical access. WLAN security is done elsewhere.

Back