Question for the CRT gods

Nickerz

n00b
So I have two beautiful large LCDs but I got all nostalgic when I saw a Lacie Blue IV 22" pop up. I snagged it and finally got it running and the whites are just insanely dull. The screen looks dull. I'm not sure if I forgot how CRTs where or what. But my LG\Korean LCDs have blindingly clear whites. I'm wondering if this is related to the difference of NIT values (110-150 vs 310).

Well, first of all, Lacie's are for photo/video editing and thus are supposed to be used in light-controlled environments. So if you have all the lights in the room on then it will never be impressive.

That said, it is also an old monitor, and probably needs to be calibrated again. I have a Lacie as well, and I need to figure out how to recalibrate it, but even now with it not being as bright as my Dell Trinitron, it still has the best blacks and overall color accuracy.

CRTs get worn out with use
Dull whites / black crush can usually be fixed adjusting certain settings in the service (not the regular options) menu though

What do I use for that? I saw mentions of WinDAS, but that seams to be a trinitron thing.

how bright do you usually set your lcds? i find anything above 100 nits to be annoying/straining for my eyes; though the lighting in my room isn't that great

how bright do you usually set your lcds? i find anything above 100 nits to be annoying/straining for my eyes; though the lighting in my room isn't that great
Agree with this. If your quote of 310 nits is what you're running your LCD screens is at then of course 110-150 is going to look dull by comparison when you're used to burning your eyes so badly all the time. That's not to say that the CRT isn't worn out and/or needs to be calibrated, though.

What is the ambient brightness of the room that you are using the CRT in? CRTs look best in dark rooms. Running one where it is bright will result in things looking washed out. Have you let the CRT warm up for half an hour? Is the screen just too dark? If it is, just adjust the G2. This can usually be done via the service menu. Also, can you post a picture of the issue so that we can figure out what exactly is wrong with it?

What do I use for that? I saw mentions of WinDAS, but that seams to be a trinitron thing.

High-end CRTs tend to have hidden service menus
How to access them is usually described in the service manuals which you can get in .pdf form

High-end CRTs tend to have hidden service menus
How to access them is usually described in the service manuals which you can get in .pdf form

THIS! I had a LaCie Electron Blue II and to enter the service menu, you had to enter a combination of buttons on power-on. And then you had to enter a couple of menu numbers so that you could unlock it. Since you have an Electron Blue IV, it's a more recent Diamondtron rebrand. I believe its equivalent is the 2070sb from Mitsubishi. The service manual is available on the net in PDF form. Start here - read it thoroughly, and then commence to making that thing pretty again. :)

Back