Question for speaker experts

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently found out that my wife's old Technics system had some Bose speaker boxes and I decided to hook them up to the HTPC system via her tuner system. One of the Bose woofers has a small tear in the paper in between the cone and the surround. Does this pose a huge problem or can I use a special tape to fix the tear or will that just create sound problems? I do not really hear any problems from the speaker at the moment but I wasn't sure if would get worse without some strengthening.
I know this is a computer forum but I think there are some knowledgeable audio peeps here.

Bose speakers are not quality cones anyway. The paper speaker probably can't be easily repaired.

If you're concerned about it, contact Bose, they may offer a replacement woofer.

Its only going to cause sound issues. At certain sound levels and frequencies its going to sound like shit. It maybe one of those things at low volumes it would sound ok but once you bump up the volume it could start sound worse.

Is the tear to the satellites or the subwoofer. If its the subwoofer you can change those pretty easily. If its a satellite I would look at ebay to see if they're any cheap ones, that is if the sound bothers you. If it sound fine then keep it as is.

Not very likely. She bought these probably like 10 years ago. I am only playing with the idea since they do sound better than the Logitech satellites, until I can convince her to spend the money on some newer equipment.
I will probably just buy some new woofers and place them in the boxes.

Edit * sorry qbanb8582 you responded in between my posts. yes it is the woofer, not the satellites, just one woofer.

If they are old speakers, you probably will not find the correct replacements anyways. Bose are such poor quality that it makes almost no sense to repair them. No offense, but this is like duct taping the bumper back on your Yugo and thinking it's safe. :)

I guess I will just do some searching on parts-express or something for some replacement woofers then. Thanks for the input all.

I guess I will just do some searching on parts-express or something for some replacement woofers then. Thanks for the input all.

I wouldn't bother fixing a BOSE speaker, not worth the time, money or effort, it is almost the worst brand of speaker you can buy.
You are literally only getting half the sound with a BOSE system.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Look on craigslist or ebay and pick up something better for cheap

Avoiding all the Bose-bashing, but you can generally use some clear nail polish to fix the rip in the paper cone. It will give a permanent repair, and will not affect the sound.

I wouldn't bother fixing a BOSE speaker, not worth the time, money or effort, it is almost the worst brand of speaker you can buy.
You are literally only getting half the sound with a BOSE system.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Look on craigslist or ebay and pick up something better for cheap

I did not mean I was going to pick up a replacement Bose speaker. I meant I was going to pick up some replacement speakers for the boxes I already have. Something possibly from the site I listed.
But thanks for the warning.

Back