Question for P180 Owners

freeman2k6

Weaksauce
Hey all you P180 owners. :) I'm ordering one for myself soon and I have a couple of questions. The main one..I'm planning on ordering this power supply. But after looking at the back of the case and at the pictures of the PSU, I'm beginning to think that the PSU's rear fan grill will get in the way. Would this be an issue in mounting the PSU? ALso, is it worth it to install any additional fans? If so which ones. Thanks much.

Regards,

-Freeman2k6

freeman2k6 said:
Hey all you P180 owners. :) I'm ordering one for myself soon and I have a couple of questions. The main one..I'm planning on ordering this power supply. But after looking at the back of the case and at the pictures of the PSU, I'm beginning to think that the PSU's rear fan grill will get in the way. Would this be an issue in mounting the PSU? ALso, is it worth it to install any additional fans? If so which ones. Thanks much.

Regards,

-Freeman2k6

I doubt you would have a problem with the rear fan. I had a true power 430 with rear fan and it fit fine. The only other fan I bought for the case was another 120MM Antec to put up front where they have a mount. Its in the MB are where the second HDD holder is. Some people try to put another fan in the bottom front where the lower HDD case is, but I dont see a point in it. I got another Antec 3 speed fan so I could run them all at the same speed. I run 3 at high. And 1, the blow hole at medium. The case is still very quiet with the 3 on high, the blow hole adds too much noise on high for me. I also just pulled out the graphics card cooler fan mount, I prefer the open airway instead of having that huge obstruction in there.

That grill will not get in the way. Also remember that you can mount the PSU right-side-up or upside-down.

You might want to consider the SmartPower 2.0 instead of the TruePower for the P180. The fan layout makes more sense for the P180's lower chamber (fans blow straight through the PSU), and with that 120mm fan blowing on it, the fans never ramp up to speed, so it always seems to run quiet. You also get the modular cable system from the Neopower and sleeved cables, but unlike the Neopower you get a 20+4 plug instead of a 24 or 20 pin plug, so it is compatable with everything. They are also very reasonably priced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

It really seems to be a hell of a value... a ton of features for a nice price.

Back