Question for ATCS 840 owners on improving airflow

singh_uk

n00b
I recently made a new build with an i7 w/ venomous X & push-pull fans with a 5870 in a ATCS 840 case. At 4Ghz stable, it seems to idle at low 40s and in Prime/Linx at 69-70, but this is with HT off and in a relatively cool room. With HT on Linx gets to high 70s :(

When the rig was being built and the case was open, the temps were much, much better so I think the case airflow needs improving (rather than reseating the heatsink - is this right?). I would rather not deck the case out with too many fans so as to maintain the quietness and keep down on expense!

Should I add two fans infront of the HDD case, or add an intake fan on the bottom of the case? Also, is it worth adding the external videocard duct box at the end or not to keep GPU temps down? Thanks.

yeah definitely add intake at the bottom. The ATCS840 is a huge case and problem with huge cases is there can be pockets of dead air within the case. The 2 fans front of the HDD case won't hurt either but you don't need high rpm fans, just low ones like say SFlex-E there. Also I recommend disconnecting the top 230mm fan closest to the front as it only serves to remove cool air before it gets to the hotter components of the case.

I'm not too sure of the air duct for the GPU, I never use it, as it doesn't seem to do much but you can test it out.

On my 3.9Ghz i7-920 with HT on I idle at 33-36C ambient 23C..Prime hits a max of 68C (using realTemp). I've since added a 120mm fan bay that occupies 3x5.25" bays at the front for extra intake. There is just alot of empty space behind those bays and it's a direct line to the ram/heatsink. The entire case has good airflow and pretty quiet..the loudest thing is my vid card and PSU fan.

Last edited:
Back