Question dealing with Dual core opterons and motherboard compatibility.

Roach

Limp Gawd
I have quick question. I'm looking at a dual socket motherboard (Tyan GX28) it says that with a bios update it will support dual core opterons. My question is, if I get this board and it comes with an older bios will I still be able to stick dual cores in and boot up long enough to flash the bios or will I need an old single core chip in order to perform the flash?

You'll need an older proc if the bios doesn't support what you want. If the processor isn't supported/recognized the system won't POST.

You should be fine. I had a Tyan board that did not "support" dual-core Opterons. It would still boot fine with two 265s, it would just claim they were "unknown processors" and keep running. You might not get support if they do not work, but I really doubt you'll have a problem, esspecially comming from Tyan.

If it doesnt support dual cores before the bios update, and you boot with dual cores, most likely it will post unknown processor, and until you updated the bios, it would only be able to utilize one core.

Back