Question Canon Speedlite 580 Flash

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I am fed up w/ the build in flash that c/w the camera. It's so slow, it takes 10 sec. to reflash.

So w/ the 580,

1) it says Recycle time is 0.1 to 6 sec., how often do you get the 4- 6 sec. range?

2) what rechargable does it c/w? And how do you recharge the battery? Does it come with an adapter or does that sell for extra $$?

Also, on an unrelated matter: What is a Non-full Frame canon camear vs. Full Frame Canon camera?

1 - depends on the power output that you need; if the flash has to go a long distance or light up a large room, recycle time is longer

2 - doesn't come with batteries, I use 2700 mAh powerex AAs

unrelated - the 5D, and 1Ds cameras are full frame, everything else is not

The camera sensor is 36x24mm, the same dimensions as a 35mm film negative

I just check the price of this item--is this thing make out of gold? They charge about $500 for this flash.

How many of you own this? Is it worth the money vs. the built in flash?

You could also go with the 430EX. It is a very good flash as well, cheaper than the 580, and can do pretty much everything.

Key differences are:
580EX has more manual flash controls
can act as a master to control second off camera flashes
has more power

I personally have the 420EX (older 430EX) and it works great. Most people do not need the manual controls and I did not need the master ability. The 430EX also has plenty of power for most uses.

I just check the price of this item--is this thing make out of gold? They charge about $500 for this flash.

How many of you own this? Is it worth the money vs. the built in flash?

$500?? Your not looking in the right places,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486706-USA/Canon_1946B002_580EX_II_Flash.html

Hows $359?

But like Grentz said you would be fine with a 430ex ( I assume you have a digital rebel or another APS-C sized sensor camera ) . It really depends on how often you use the flash and its purpose ( indoor, outdoor , fill flash ,large area, small area )

I bought the camera (xti) from that store, and they have the lowest price. But it's clear that they don't have the lowest price on everything.

w/ the build in flash, it's some what doable indoor. My main concern is outdoor when it is not sunny, say a somewhat cloudy day, and I need to do continue shoot, for e.g., of my bunnies running, then I need the flash.

I never use manual control

as to:

can act as a master to control second off camera flashes

I don't understand the 2nd half of this sentence, can you elaborate?

I don't understand the 2nd half of this sentence, can you elaborate?

When you want to illuminate the subject from more than one angle you can use multiple flashes rather than trying to utilize static lighting. The 580 can act as the "master" flash that will trigger any other flash that is not directly connected to the camera.

I just used some alkaline AA batteries in a 580EX the other day and the recharge time was negligible at the beginning. I could take photos right after each other (snap snap snap) and the flash would fire. After a couple of hours, the charge time drifted into a few seconds. Carrying spares or even and external battery pack is recommended.

It is vastly superior to the pop-up flash. It has a diffuser, which can help spread light, and also can be aimed in most any direction. It turns a full 180 degrees either way and the flash can be positions anywhere between forward and straight up, allowing the flash to point anywhere in the half-sphere above the camera.

As previously indicated, full frame means the sensor is the same size as a 35mm film negative. Much of what Canon, Nikon, and others make have smaller sensors that mean you see less of the picture, losing the edges.

For example, the Digital Rebel XTi has a 1.6x crop factor, meaning you can multiply the focal length by 1.6 to get the effective focal length. ie. a 50mm lens on a 1.6x crop camera will be more or less like shooting a full frame camera at 80mm. There will be some actual differences and distortion when the two images are compared, but that's a little more complicated.

first of all, thanks for all the reply. Everything is now quite clear. Having said that, I just check the spec. of the 430EX, hey guys, the recycle time is much less:

Approx. 0.1 to 3.7 seconds (AA-size Alkaline Batteries)/0.1 to 2 seconds (AA-size Ni-MH batteries)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=141&modelid=11923#ModelTechSpecsAct

Our friend at the 580 is a max. of 6 sec., the above is only 3.7 sec., and for lesser money.

My goal on the flash is only to be use outdoor if the weather is a cloudy or late in the evening, such as 8 pm in the summer time, when my build in flash going at 5 miles / hr.

The ONLY type of photo that I ever be using w/ the flash is to take photos of my 3 bunnies in the backyard. I bought the camera for that, and I won't use it for any other purpose.

So, to me, the most important issue is the recycle time, the build in is like 10 sec or longer, especially if I click more than once. Other than that, as long as the light flash is more or equally powerful as the build in flash, that should do it for me.

On page 41 of the Canon Fall 2007 brochure, where they compares the 580 ex ii to 430ex, there isn't any significant difference btwn. the 2.

So, would you guys recommend to go w/ the 430 because of the faster recycle time?

So, would you guys recommend to go w/ the 430 because of the faster recycle time?

The recycle time is faster because the maximum power output on the 430 is lower and the caps don't have to charge as much. If you're using them at the same power output levels, recycle times should be similar. However, the 580 will be able to output more light, if you ever need it. Since you'll be shooting outside, it could be an issue, but I can't say for sure.

I was once in the same boat as you and couldn't decide between the 430ex and the 580 but finally went with the 430 for a few reasons.

1) Cost
2) 580 is more designed for a studio setup where you will need slaves

The 430ex will output a lot of light into a room to fill in dark situations as long as you stay off idiot mode and know how to work your camera properly.

Recycle rate is basically how fast it will recycle so that you can take another picture but take into consideration how many pictures in a row you'll be able to take with it.

Personally the 430ex will be plenty for you!

I'm looking to get a flash and I'm actually thinking of getting the 430EX. Partially due to budget and partially due to it doing everything I need for now anyhow.

Also, I bought my brother a 580EX just a month ago for his birthday and could borrow that or use it as a master if absolutely necessary anyhow.

Is there anything major the 430EX doesn't have other than the master function?

-A.P. Etc

I don't need master and slave. The outdoor is primary say, for eg.., 8 pm on a summer night, which is somewhat bright outside, but no sun light.

Or a cloudy day that is 3 pm in the afternoon, so it is a bit dark without the flash when I use manual mode to control the lighting, and with the flash, everything looks quite good.

Personally, I don't like the flash all that much due to red eye. And I don't want to turn on the red eye function because it slow down the process.

So I suppose it is a fair question to ask:

1) what is the light flash brightness difference in number btwn. the 550 and 430, as the spec. didn't say.

2) How many flash can I get on average, using a 8 pm setting on a summer sunny evening, before the 430 needs to recycle? With my build in flash, it lasts about 2 - 3 photos before I get the busy signal and it sits there for 10+ sec.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=141&modelid=11923#ModelTechSpecsAct

I own the following tackle:

Canon EOS20D
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX

And I can give you letter with a police stamp on it ... the pop-up flash is SHITE!
Believe me, if you get a Gary Fong diffuser, and a REAL flash ... you will not believe the results! ;)

I agree the pop up is shit. The re-fresh takes forever. I am just waiting for other who have the 430 adn 580 to tell me the time delay difference

I got the 430 right before Christmas but I have not had the time to run the experiment you need, HH.

I agree the pop up is shit. The re-fresh takes forever. I am just waiting for other who have the 430 adn 580 to tell me the time delay difference

They both recharge just as fast on AA batts. But the 580 has an optional Ni cad battery pack that can hook up to it and hang off your belt. It recharges much faster with the pack than with standard AA batteries. The 430 Ex dose not have this option so... yea, the 580 can be faster.

there both redicously fast when using ETTL so dont worry about it.

the 580 is a much more powerful flash, with a guide number of 36 vice 30 at 35mm and 55 vice 43 at 105mm.

http://www.kjsl.com/~dave/speedlites.html

Whichever you get, grab an omnibounce for it, best $15 accessory you can buy.

Links for more info:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138907
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46599
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

The 580 mark 2 also adds weather sealing and port which you can use to trigger the flash using standard (ie cheap!) cabling. The 580 mark 1 didnt have either of these, and I'm not sure what the guide numbers are on the mark 2, the ones above are for the mk 1.

Also, if you are a member at Costco, get the $26 Eneloop rechargeable battery kit. this gives you 8 rechargeable lithium batteries which are perfect for these flashes, so you can have one set in the unit and one set either recharging or charged and ready if you run out on the first set. I've found them to allow my flash unit to refresh and be ready for action fast well into the charge, and that standard non rechargeables start slowing down halfway into their charge.

The kit even has some AAAs in it and adapters to let you use them in C and D cells, its pretty slick.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...e|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdoff

I don't know about the omni bounce.. I have one but don't like it. To me indoors, bouncing is always the best option, and the omnibounce just shoots my light everywhere not not where I want to bounce it. It works OK to shoot some light forward and fill faces, but no better than a bounce card.

Outdoors? Well isn't that funny. I see so many people using them out doors. I just laugh! Theres nothing for the light that shots off in different directions to bounce off of.. The only flash light that shows on the picture is what hits the subject, so its really just wasting a bunch of flash power bouncing it in all directions. Turn the flash power down, point it right at subject... Bam! the same effect for free, and it will make mad fast recycle times and not eat you juice.

Also, if you are a member at Costco, get the $26 Eneloop rechargeable battery kit. this gives you 8 rechargeable lithium batteries which are perfect for these flashes, so you can have one set in the unit and one set either recharging or charged and ready if you run out on the first set. I've found them to allow my flash unit to refresh and be ready for action fast well into the charge, and that standard non rechargeables start slowing down halfway into their charge.

The kit even has some AAAs in it and adapters to let you use them in C and D cells, its pretty slick.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...e|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdoff

that looks cool. I wonder how good the batts are though? What are they rated to hold?

on that note the best Rechargeable I have used so far are Powerex 2700Mah AAs, I found they give me more power longer than both Engerizer and Duracell Ni-MH batteries.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=powerex&x=0&y=0

the 8 pack has a nice little plastic case included.

Back