Question about x370 board boot issue

crazycrave

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an older Gigabyte x370 board with a Ryzen 3600 . System ran great since built and sold it to someone that has had it since Aug 2020 , they gamed on it a lot and was happy with as video card is MSI RX 5700

The issue is that it only boots to the Gigabyte screen with the options to enter bios but will not do anything from there .. was thinking hard drive died or Mother Board as it shows video so it did boot to the screen .. CMOS battery was a thought .

LMK what You think the issue could be as I really never had this issue before not being able to enter the Bios .. Thanks

start with a new cmos battery and a good bios clearing. then if that doesnt help, disconnect all drives and extra peripherals, see if you can at least get it to the "no boot device" stage. then reconnect just the os drive, see how it goes.

Decent chance the bios got corrupted somehow and needs a re-flash.
I need get into bios just to access the M-Flash on this older board which kind tells me bios is asleep = battery .. just got to wait for a Wal-Mart trip to get a new one

I replaced the battery and noting changed .. I pulled the single 8 pin RX 5700 and dropped it in my 5600x rig for a quick run as I hoped it was not dead and all is not lost .. odd how the 5600x hit over 5Ghz in the test as I have noting really tuned up, So any other ideas as it should not even make it to the Gigabyte screen with bad cpu or stick of ram I would think and really have no way to flash it without M - Flash working with in the bios .
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/25750903

Last edited:
everything disconnected, even yank the cables out of the board, still no post? tried one stick of ram?

If this is a dual BIOS board, I'm going to make a wild guess that the board decided randomly to fall back to its backup BIOS which does not support the 3600. My Gigabytes do that sometimes...

Or... the board is toast. Gigabyte seems to have half assed its entire B350/450/X370/470 lineup with the sole exception of the X470 Gaming 7. Glad they fixed it with the B550 and the X570s...

If this is a dual BIOS board, I'm going to make a wild guess that the board decided randomly to fall back to its backup BIOS which does not support the 3600. My Gigabytes do that sometimes...

Or... the board is toast. Gigabyte seems to have half assed its entire B350/450/X370/470 lineup with the sole exception of the X470 Gaming 7. Glad they fixed it with the B550 and the X570s...
I have an MSI B350m Gaming Pro that I got with a combo Ryzen 1400 that is still running strong like my other MSI boards .. Just tired One Gigabyte board and never again

^ To be fair to Gigabyte, most other manufacturers half assed their 300/400 lineup boards too... but you had to really pick which boards would do well.

The 1400 is a lower power chip and is 'matched' to the B350. Not surprised it's doing well.

The 3600 was released 2 full years after the B350/X370 series and I guess thats the cause of at least some odd issues. I don't think most manufacturers expected AMD to develop AM4 how they did when they launched the B350/X370.

Not shilling for AMD but they should have thought that out better too. This is one case where I think that maybe they should have actually made a cutoff on board compatibility.

Last edited:
^ To be fair to Gigabyte, most other manufacturers half assed their 300/400 lineup boards too... but you had to really pick which boards would do well.

The 1400 is a lower power chip and is 'matched' to the B350. Not surprised it's doing well.

The 3600 was released 2 full years after the B350/X370 series and I guess thats the cause of at least some odd issues. I don't think most manufacturers expected AMD to develop AM4 how they did when they launched the B350/X370.

Not shilling for AMD but they should have thought that out better too. This is one case where I think that maybe they should have actually made a cutoff on board compatibility.
The 1400 is long gone .. odd part about the board after being flashed is that it will run the memory at 3334Mhz in XMP profile 1 with a 1600 AF as to be my kid's PC made from parts .

Back