question about Wii wifi

kingdomwinds

Limp Gawd
I want to get a wii just to play smash brawl and mario kart. Do i need a wireless router to access the online connection on the wii? Also, is it just plug and play or do i have to configure something to play online?

this is off topic but i cannot find the Wii anywhere. Would I not get a warranty if i buy it new off ebay?

You can get a Wifi adapter that you put into the USB on your desktop and it will connect to the wii and share your connection. You can go that route if you dont have or want a WiFi router.

If you do go the router way, sometimes you have to change the chanel to 1 or another one (1 worked for me so I didnt bother trying the other one) to get it to connect properly.

If the box is sealed off ebay then yes you will have a full warranty from the time of origional purchase, if you keep a reciept from your ebay purchase they might honor that as the time of purchase, but they are more likely to go from the origional date of purchse.

If the box is sealed off ebay then yes you will have a full warranty from the time of origional purchase, if you keep a reciept from your ebay purchase they might honor that as the time of purchase, but they are more likely to go from the origional date of purchse.

I don't think any of the Wii boxes are actually sealed, I have picked up a few of them since launch at retail stores.and never has there been a seal sticker on them. I know the first time I picked one up I was kind of worried about there being no seal but then I saw they all came like that, which was weird to me.

wake up early tomorrow and go to the stores. Should have a decent amount of wii's in stock for the release of Brawl. My friend picked one up on friday at best buy just for brawl since he saw it in stock there.

also, www.wiialerts.com might help ya out

What? Hell no. Wii warranties start when the system is purchased from an authorized reseller. The retailer scans the serial number and that information gets reported back to Nintendo. Your warranty is tied to that original purchase and begins the day it was paid for. So best case scenario, your warranty is still valid, you just lost some time on it. Worst case scenario, the unit was grey market or came down through an unauthorized channel, then it has no warranty. You can toss Wii purchase receipts into a bonfire because Nintendo will never ask for them.

Toys R Us is supposed to get them in Sunday the 9th. like 75+ per store...

What? Hell no. Wii warranties start when the system is purchased from an authorized reseller. The retailer scans the serial number and that information gets reported back to Nintendo. Your warranty is tied to that original purchase and begins the day it was paid for. So best case scenario, your warranty is still valid, you just lost some time on it. Worst case scenario, the unit was grey market or came down through an unauthorized channel, then it has no warranty. You can toss Wii purchase receipts into a bonfire because Nintendo will never ask for them.

If you read my full post you will see that I stated the warranty starts from the time of origional purchase...:rolleyes::

And secondly the SN info is not forwarded out of the store, its tied to the store's tickets (if they are required to scan them at POS) for return purposes. Some stores might send it off to Nintendo, but the ones I have worked for dont send any of it off unless they are talking to the manufacturer for the warranty. Nintendo already know's where the unit's were shiped as you are buying from a store that owns the unit, Nintendo has already sold it to the store, and if you have a reciept for it you will be okay.

Unless ebay changed policy you will see a picture of and should recieve a copy of the origional reciept with your unit. The box's do not have stickers on them but once you open it you will know if it was previously open'd, cellophane and bag's around the componants etc.

i just got Wii and brawl and bestbuy but I cannot seem to play with anyone online. The Wii did connect to the internet wireless through my router.

What can i do to fix this?

The "Play with anyone" mode doesn't seem to be working, I haven't been able to successfully start a match with anyone whose friend code I don't know

And secondly the SN info is not forwarded out of the store, its tied to the store's tickets (if they are required to scan them at POS) for return purposes. Some stores might send it off to Nintendo, but the ones I have worked for dont send any of it off unless they are talking to the manufacturer for the warranty. Nintendo already know's where the unit's were shiped as you are buying from a store that owns the unit, Nintendo has already sold it to the store, and if you have a reciept for it you will be okay.

I've managed to have multiple Gameboys and DS/DS Lites fail on me in the last few years, and each time, Nintendo knows exactly when I purchased the units without me coughing up a receipt for the purchase. Maybe I am just lucky, however I was definitely left with the impression that all the info gers back to Nintendo after talking with them.

i just got Wii and brawl and bestbuy but I cannot seem to play with anyone online. The Wii did connect to the internet wireless through my router.

What can i do to fix this?

Can you access the Nintendo online channels? Is just gameplay broken?

i can see the news and weather channels just fine. i can also spectate online matches. I just cant play a random game with people online.

You're not alone kingdomwinds. I haven't successfully been able to play a Smash PUG yet. I've played 1v1 game with an added Smash friend with a lot of lag. I'm guessing and hoping it's just release day jitters and the lag will subside in the coming days.

wireless only , and its not hard to set it up at all

You can also buy an ethernet adapter for the system for like 30 bucks direct from nintendo. Usualy I run mine via an ethernet cable as the access point is the other side of the house.

At my friends he has a dlink router that seems to hate the wii's as well. We end up running it off an ethernet cable as well.

Yeah, I remember that there was an ethernet adapter for the Wii floating around.
I'm on the "standard" Linksys WRT54GS router that seems pretty common and I've had pretty good performance from the Wii wirelessly. You can get that router or a newer variant for $50-70'ish.
They've released several firmware upgrades for it over the last year since I've had it and each one has actually helped performance for the consoles ever so slightly.

Yeah, I remember that there was an ethernet adapter for the Wii floating around.
I'm on the "standard" Linksys WRT54GS router that seems pretty common and I've had pretty good performance from the Wii wirelessly. You can get that router or a newer variant for $50-70'ish.
They've released several firmware upgrades for it over the last year since I've had it and each one has actually helped performance for the consoles ever so slightly.

Yea it works fine on my router when I'm in range of it.

With it just being a single(well 2) console that it doesn't work right with it isn't worth his time replacing his dlink that they seem to hate.

Back