question about unsecured wireless networks.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by SuperCell, Dec 24, 2011.

1. SuperCell

SuperCell Limp Gawd

I have my own internet supplied by the cable company, but when I plug in my wireless reciever, I'm able to access an unsecured network.

I figure it's either the upstairs tenents or someone else close by.

1. Is it illegal to use this "free" internet?

2. Will the party using this network be able to tell in any way that it is me that is leaching from it?

3. Could they experience performance decreases from me using the network?

2. yuzuki

yuzuki n00b

I guess ill answer this one

1) Depends on the country you should probably ask a lawyer on this subject.
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

3. SuperCell

SuperCell Limp Gawd

ok thanks.

I'm not planning on actually using the network, but I was just curious about the potential use of it.

4. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

The main danger is that they could potentially sniff your traffic. But chances are if they're dumb enough to leave it wide open,they're not smart enough to do that, or even know how to find out who's connected. Unless it's a honeypot which is probably unlikely. Basically if you do decide to connect, treat it like the internet, and not a LAN.

From a law perspective it probably depends, but in reality, you are being given access, so it's kinda hard to give something to someone, and then say they're stealing. Though, the law can be screwed up and is usually in the interest of higher ups who know nothing about technology so it does not always make sense.