Question about Timings and New System

I've been looking around lately trying to learn about all the new hardware features since I last built in system 5 years ago and found this place is a great wealth of knowledge. Hopefully you guys can help me out a little.

I never knew timings were so important on RAM. I plan on getting a 1GB kit (2x512) of DDR2-800 and I was wondering what kind of timing I should be looking for to get good performance without spending too much. My current checklist is:

ASUS P5B Deluxe
E6400 Core 2 Duo
nVidia 7950 GT OC (or something similar)
2x 35GB 10kRPM Raptors in RAID0 (I really don't need much space to be happy)
Some kind of DDR2-800

If anyone has any suggestions I switching any of those parts out, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks all.

Go with the cheapest 2gb DDR800 kit you can find. Timings are more important on amd systems than intels so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

After reading about the mobo a little more, I've decided to try going with 2x512 of the Kingston HyperX PC8500 1066mhz sticks. (The documentation says that even though the board only supports up to DDR2-800, the hyper-x PC8500 works.) I hear that 2GB of any ram is probably better for gaming than 1GB of fast ram, but I want to try this out and possibly upgrade to 2GB later to see for myself. I really like the idea that all of my CPU bus speed, mobo fsb, and ram speed will be the same, but there's probably some huge bottleneck that I don't know about that makes it all moot anyway.

Back