Question about the Cisco ConfigMaker v2.6 on my Cisco 2514 Router

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I try using it, and it pops up with the following message when I use the AutoDetect Device Wizard:

Device Information is corrupted. Failed to learn the device hardware configuration and the Cisco IOS software parameters. Run the AutoDetect Device Wizard again.

I try it again and same thing. Any input?

Thanks!

Lukas

Okay... I opened up the chassis, and I saw the jumper for (BOOT), and it looked like this:

Code:
A
o
o
o
B

My jumper connected the bottom 2, and the OK light would NOT turn on and I couldn't log into my router. When I turn it off, put the jumper to connect the top 2 pins, then the light turns green when I turn on the router and I can go edit the options.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Damn it... after a couple of hours of working on it, I can get to:

Code:
Router(boot)>

But, that's about it. As soon as I revert the jumper back to its original position (the bottom), I can't get into the router and the OK light will NOT go on.

F*ckin' a........ cisco.com isn't helping too much either :mad:

hrmm, you might try changing the config register to have it startup from ROM... and then erase your NVram... if you have an IOS image on your PC try setting up a TFTP server and booting up from that.. erasing your flash and downloading the IOS image off of TFTP...

it sounds like your ROM might be damaged actually... dunno, since i dont HAVE A CISCO ROUTER TO PLAY WITH... sigh it sucks being poor

The order in which the router looks for system bootstrap information depends on the boot field setting in the configuration register. The default configuration register setting can be changed with the global configuration mode command config-register. Use a hexadecimal number as the argument for this command.

The configuration register is a 16-bit register in NVRAM. The lowest four bits of the configuration register form the boot field. To ensure that the upper 12 bits are not changed, first retrieve the current values of the configuration register using the show version command. Then use the config-register command, changing only the value of the last hexadecimal digit.

To change the boot field in the configuration register, follow these guidelines:
*To enter the ROM monitor mode, set the configuration register value to 0xnnn0, where nnn represents the previous value of the non-boot field digits. This value sets the boot field bits to 0000 binary. From ROM monitor, boot the operating system manually by using the b command at the ROM monitor prompt.
*To configure the system to boot automatically from ROM, set the configuration register to 0xnnn1, where nnn represents the previous value of the non-boot field digits. This value sets the boot field bits to 0001 binary.
*To configure the system to use the boot system commands in NVRAM, set the configuration register to any value from 0xnnn2 to 0xnnnF, where nnn represents the previous value of the non-boot field digits. These values set the boot field bits to a value between 0010 and 1111 binary. Using boot system commands in NVRAM is the default.

and some general stuff to look at

Troubleshooting IOS boot failure
In the event that the router does not boot properly, there are several things that could be wrong:
- Configuration file has missing or incorrect boot system statement
- Incorrect configuration register value
- Corrupted flash image
- Hardware failure

When the router boots, it looks in the configuration file for a boot system statement. This boot system statement can force the router to boot from another image instead of the IOS in flash. To identify the boot image source, type the show version command and look for the line that identifies the image boot source.

Use the show running-config command and look for a boot system statement near the top of the configuration. If the boot system statement points to an incorrect IOS image, delete the statement using the “no” version of the command.

An incorrect configuration register setting will prevent the IOS from loading from flash. The value in the configuration register tells the router where to get the IOS. This can be confirmed by using the show version command and looking at the last line for the configuration register. The correct value varies from hardware platform to hardware platform. A part of the documentation of the internetwork should be a printed copy of the show version output. If that documentation is not available, there are resources on the Cisco documentation CD or Cisco website to identify the correct configuration register value. Correct this by changing the configuration register in the configuration and saving this as the start-up configuration.

If there is still a problem, the router may have a corrupted flash image file. If this is the case, an error message should be displayed during boot. That message may take one of several forms. Some examples are:
- open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
- trouble reading device magic number
- boot: cannot open "flash:"
- boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"ú

If the flash image is corrupt, a new IOS should be uploaded into the router.

If none of the above appears to be the problem, the router could have a hardware failure. If this is the case, the Cisco Technical Assistance (TAC) center should be contacted. Although hardware failures are rare, they do occur.

Note: The value of the configuration register is not displayed by either the show running-config or show startup-config commands.

Haha... I actually tried contacting Cisco about this. Boy was I stupid... they wouldn't even HEAR MY PROBLEM OUT if I don't have a running and current and all-paid-up service contract with them.

"Contact your reseller," they said. Haha... do they NOT know that 90% of individuals that own Cisco routers, who aren't affiliated with a company, own that router b/c they bought it on eGay? So... I finally realize that all that $$$ for Cisco routers goes partially towards the actual product, but mostly for the service provided (a.k.a. customer support).

Sucks!!!

P.S. Flecom, thanks for your input...

Don't most enterprise gear from cisco come with a limited lifetime warranty (regardless of who or where bought?)

Back