question about the asus Z10PE-D16 WS

tsubasa hanekawa

Limp Gawd
i have a small deal lined up shortly with the advent of a deal made with a friend, the deal is basically he's looking to upgrade to a platform with PCI-E 3 since he's hit the limit of PCI-E 2 (he's a storage buff so we;re talking raid on enterprise grade SSD's and the like all going through a single raid card then a second raid card for the next set of drives and so on) the swap is an asus Z10PE-D16 WS swaps for an EVGA SR2 (with a pair of cpu blocks for good measure) and personally i think it's a good deal since that's £430 worth of board in swaps and SR2's go for about £1000+ on ebay and are rare as rocking horse crap, with all this im thinking it best to go that way rather than track one down, but there's a sweetener on this, if i can sort him even some cheap ES xeons for it (i know it's flaky territory) then i get his 4.7GHz (at decent volts) capable X5680's in with it too, but, im in need of a definitive answer as to weather or not this board will indeed support ES xeons or not, if anyone has any leads ill be very grateful and many thanks in advance for any responses.

Capable of 4.7 or stable at 4.7?? - The SR2 is known to be a pig to set up and keep stable. The fastest I've ever seen one at is 4.2Ghz and that was from new.

As for the Z10PE, yes it will support ES processors - however make sure you do some research fist as not all chips will work with certain Bios revisions, as for finding them, a search on fleabay will find some in very short order

Capable of 4.7 or stable at 4.7?? - The SR2 is known to be a pig to set up and keep stable. The fastest I've ever seen one at is 4.2Ghz and that was from new.

As for the Z10PE, yes it will support ES processors - however make sure you do some research fist as not all chips will work with certain Bios revisions, as for finding them, a search on fleabay will find some in very short order

this SR2 im to be obtaining can hold a 200 BCLK and with chips capable of it 4.7GHz (he has a pair of X5680's in at 4.5GHz at the moment but he has borrowed pairs of X5690's and gotten 4.7 prime stable, though he only used that for a few weeks as he had to give the cpu's back)

thanks, but this is what brings me here, i only really need the go ahead that they would work, once i can get some free time then i can look into which will work and which will not :p and yeah fleabay is the only proper place to find them in volume as far as im aware, well as far as ES units go.

Back