Question about shipping whole computer

I'm thinking about selling my watercooled i7 SLI system and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to ship it. I'd like to keep from just parting it out. Has anyone here done this before? I just want to make sure that if I sell the system it gets to the buyer in complete working order.

Thanks,

-Tadzilla

pack the system well both inside and out, i've had shipping problems before where the case was completely undamaged but the inside was all messed up. bring your system to a fedex store and they'll help you pack it well.

I'd remove any large heatsinks (not likely on WC setup) or heavy video cards (very likely with waterblocks.)

Your box WILL be dropped. Plan for it.

Sometimes a local craigslist sale just make more sense.

both UPS / fedex, and probably others,drop your package from up to 5 feet during the normal sorting process. anything that isnt very securely screwed into the case i would remove and package seperately. motherboard and PSU should be ok, but i would remove heatsinks, video cards and hard drives. hard drives, even if screwed into the case with 4-8 screws, do not like large G forces and should always be packed separately in their own padded box.

I've sold entire computers, but I always make sure all screws are installed on the MB and expansion cards. I've never sold one with a heavy after market HSF. I'd always remove that. Other than that pack the inside with anti-static peanuts and pack them in tight or use anti-static foam blocks. Double box the PC with peanuts in both boxes. It costs a bit to do this, but you'll get good results.

Honestly, shipping a computer sounds like a real PITA. I'd really try to sell it locally if I were you. You can get insurance on it if you decide to ship it, but it might turn into a situation where it doesn't get sorted out for a few weeks/months if it does get damaged en route.

It just doesn't seem like a great idea. Too many fragile components that can easily get knocked loose ot break

Drain your system for sure. Remove the video cards and ship them separately or once removed bubble wrap them and stick them in the case.

I shipped an entire system once and the video card broke the pci-e slot, and then bounced around beating up the motherboard while still attached by screws. Pack the interior tight just incase anything wants to bounce around.

BlueAqua said:
Drain your system for sure. Remove the video cards and ship them separately or once removed bubble wrap them and stick them in the case...

You can get insurance on it if you decide to ship it, but it might turn into a situation where it doesn't get sorted out for a few weeks/months if it does get damaged en route

Great pointers there !!! and just to add a few more:

Remember, those shipping insurance, although is great to have, can be a real PITA.
If damage occurs, the shipper will try to blame it on you FIRST, is it retail/factory box? does it have any/enough protection? so on and on. And the process could take weeks and in the meantime you have to reimburse the buyer first. Just be ready for the worse.

So if you don't have the manufacture/retail box, go to FEDEX store or UPS store, and have them packed for you. That should protect you a little if something happens

Good luck

Most important, try providing additional support to mounted components
If your case is aluminum, and the psu bracket bends easily, it will bend if the psu is attached in transit.

I ship computers all the time. You just need to use the original packaging and take out big heatsinks. The biggest HSF I shipped still on was a Arctic cooling freezer 7

Back