Question about repeaters

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I've read that they halve your bandwidth, but does that apply to the max bandwidth or the devices bandwidth?

When moving files over wifi, on my netbook, it can get up to 10MBps. Which is plenty fast for video streaming. The tablet reaches 2.5MBps. The phone only reaches 1.8MBps.

Assuming that my home networks wifi capacity is 10MBps, does that mean everthing will get capped at 5MBps? Which would mean the phone is unaffected? Or does that mean the phone drops down to 900KBps?

Well, i dropped by the mall and got one. I tested by transferring a 100MB file and then taking a screenshot of the bandwidth monitor app on the phone.

Router. This was taken before i left for the mall, so it's the only active wifi in the house.
wifimain.png

Repeater, after i got back and set it up
wifirepeater.png

Repeater is a cheap $18.00 unit. The monitor says the speed is all over the place, but videos i've tried so far are streaming fine so i guess it's okay.

The posts carried on to another forum, but may as well update this one.

After installing the repeater these are the readings i got. Still not really sure if this is the improvement i should expect but it's an improvement.

Red and Green are the router and repeater respectively. Orange is the neighbors wifi... which has no password by the way.

reptest01.jpg

I guess routers are meant to also take up the channels next to them?

Walking around the house. Left:My room; Middle:Kitchen; Right:Other side of the house.
reptest02.jpg

So i guess it works. Atleast the test laptop at the far room doesn't get cut off anymore and it can play 480p.

Connections are more stable and the devices no longer get cut off when i move around the house but streaming videos can still be finicky. 720p is not possible, but 480p works pretty well altho the slightest glitch will make it stutter so i guess it's just borderline.

The issue i have is that the best spot seems to be on top of the sofa. I'm still looking for another place to put it, but the repeater does get warm and i'm wondering if continious heat from it will damage the leather.

Wattmeter says the repeater uses 1.9w.

Back