Question about re-using an OEM copy of Windows XP

No... the OS is not bios locked, it is no different than a retail copy other than the EULA you agree to when you install the OS. If your hard drive fails, just re-install XP, no special steps required. You might have to call MS to re-activate, but that should be the end of it.

I'm not sure how to answer the second part, I don't think I understand exactly what your asking... If you mean installing the same OS on multiple computers at the same time, the only thing stopping you is the fact that it's illegal... and perhaps activation problems...

No... the OS is not bios locked, it is no different than a retail copy other than the EULA you agree to when you install the OS. If your hard drive fails, just re-install XP, no special steps required. You might have to call MS to re-activate, but that should be the end of it.

I'm not sure how to answer the second part, I don't think I understand exactly what your asking... If you mean installing the same OS on multiple computers at the same time, the only thing stopping you is the fact that it's illegal... and perhaps activation problems...

Thanks for the info. From what I've read, if for any reason I need to reinstall my oem XP, I just call microsoft and tell them I have to reinstall because my (insert computer component) broke, but I am still using windows in the same computer, and they will help me re-activate windows.

Back