Question about Outlook Express

98 SNAKE EATER

Weaksauce
I used to use OE back when I had one computer, but now that I use many + smart phone, I've been keeping my email online...

I'd like to back up my emails using OE, but still keep them online for easy access...

Someone recently told me I can configure OE to "Leave a copy of messages online" in the advance settings and I tried it last night :cool:

It worked, but after I restarted OE, it went back to the original settings and over 7500 of my emails got yanked offline :eek:

How do I set it to constantly leave messages online when used?

Rick

Sorry, but I don't have a clue what that is (puter newb)

How exactly does IMAP work?

The actions on the messages you do in the mail client are reflected on the server so that other clients (including the webmail interface) that also connect to the email server via IMAP see these changes.

This means if you mark a message as read in one client, the others (that connect to the email server via IMAP) will see that change and if you delete the message in one client, the message will disappear from the others. Basically, everything (message/folder-wise) syncs.

There's no need to use the obsolete Outlook Express. You can use Opera's built-in mail client, Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Claws Mail or Seamonkey's built-in mail client for example. They all support IMAP.

Gmail, Fastmail and GMX all support checking your mail via IMAP. Your current mail provider might allow it too as long as you don't have something really bad like Hotmail or Yahoo. I think AOL even supports IMAP (though it's still just as bad as Hotmail and Yahoo).

But, the mail clients listed above all support a "leave messages on server till I delete them" option by default when accessing mail via POP (POP is what you're using now). POP sucks though as no actions (with the exception of deleting a message and then, that's only if it happens *before* the other client has a chance to download a copy of the message) will be seen by other clients. POP basically equal "download these messages and work only with the local copies".

Thanks for all the info :cool:

Unfortunately, I'm with at&t/yahoo :(

Since I've been using OE for as long as I can remember (still have emails over 10 years old saved), I'd like to stick with it as change doesn't come easy to me :eek:

Anyhoo, here's where I am with OE

screenshot

When I go into advance settings and check the box to leave a copy online, it works as it should :cool:

However, as soon as I restart OE, it goes back to default and the box is unchecked :confused: (emails get yanked from server)

How can I get it to stay checked?

Sounds like something is preventing the setting from being saved correctly or reverting it. Any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs running? If so, at least turn off the email scanner if there is one (especially if you have avast).

Did you try creating a new identity in OE and setting up the account in that? If it works, it probably means something is corrupted with the default identity.

Back