question about optimal refresh rate

ven77

Weaksauce
One of the links in the Stuff for HTPC sticky had the following:
NOTE: This is changing with select high-end digital displays that operate at 72Hz or 120Hz to make a perfect multiplication from 24fps film material. Currently this is rare so don't set above 60Hz unless you know you have the specific premium plasma model from Pioneer

I'm confused. Does this imply that the best refresh rate to have for watching blu rays (24fps) is something higher than 60Hz? I've read some stuff here and on avsforums, and it seems people set the refresh rate to 24Hz (or 23.9-whatever) for watching blu rays.

What is the best refresh rate for watching blu rays? Is this refresh rate best for watching stuff from other sources as well (dvd, local mkv file, etc.)?

Provided your display has a refresh rate that is divisible by 24, such as 48, 72, 96 for plasmas, or 120 or 240 for LCDs, then set your HTPC for either 24 or 60. I am not aware of any circumstance now where you would set it ABOVE 60. I have a Pioneer Kuro, and usually have both my HTPC and Blu-Ray player set for 24.

Many displays won't go DOWN to 24Hz so they use a multiple of it (48, 72, 120) instead for BR content. If the display will do 120Hz it is nice because then you can display both TV (30Hz) and BR (24Hz) without needing to change the refresh rate at all. You may also want to use a higher multiple so when doing other things besides watching movies (games mostly) the motion still looks good.

Go to a electronics store. Watch a 120hz tv for a few minutes, then switch to a 60hz tv. Your eyes will hurt after the switch.

One of the links in the Stuff for HTPC sticky had the following:

I'm confused. Does this imply that the best refresh rate to have for watching blu rays (24fps) is something higher than 60Hz? I've read some stuff here and on avsforums, and it seems people set the refresh rate to 24Hz (or 23.9-whatever) for watching blu rays.

What is the best refresh rate for watching blu rays? Is this refresh rate best for watching stuff from other sources as well (dvd, local mkv file, etc.)?

Output at 24hz, just like your blu-ray player.

Don't listen to these people, the television will do the rest.

Output at 24hz, just like your blu-ray player.

Don't listen to these people, the television will do the rest.

What he really should be doing is using the refresh rate of his actually TV. If he's got a 24/120hz TV then use it. Otherwise he's stuck with a 60hz one and changing it to anything different then that could damage his TV.

What he really should be doing is using the refresh rate of his actually TV. If he's got a 24/120hz TV then use it. Otherwise he's stuck with a 60hz one and changing it to anything different then that could damage his TV.

Well I'm assuming he doesn't have a CRT... digitals really don't care. If they will accept 24p, then feed them 24p. If they don't accept it, it won't display anything.

Thanks for the replies.

According to spec, my plasma has a refresh rate of 600Hz. If true, that could be OK for 24 fps (25 repeats for each frame), and TV (20 repeats). Initially I thought that would be OK, and then I saw the last few replies, heh.

So then...what's the reasoning for going down to 24Hz? Wouldn't 600 (or 120, 240, etc.) provide me with the same picture as 24, except each frame would be repeated 25 times? Or 20 if TV...?

Thanks for the replies.

According to spec, my plasma has a refresh rate of 600Hz. If true, that could be OK for 24 fps (25 repeats for each frame), and TV (20 repeats). Initially I thought that would be OK, and then I saw the last few replies, heh.

So then...what's the reasoning for going down to 24Hz? Wouldn't 600 (or 120, 240, etc.) provide me with the same picture as 24, except each frame would be repeated 25 times? Or 20 if TV...?

Your television screen refreshes at 600hz, if for some reason you could get a computer to do the same, the electronic circuitry of the television couldn't handle it anyway.

Most of these high hz televisions are designed for 24p output from a blu-ray player. If you are using your htpc instead, just keep it at 24. If you play games on your HTPC, well that might not be a good idea then.

actually what ever looks good to you..

You paid for it.
You watch it.

if you get a head ache at 60, change to 50 or 72 if you can.. lower is not good as many peoples brains can actually see the refreshing going on.. and the mind works hard to correct this = headache..

Your television screen refreshes at 600hz, if for some reason you could get a computer to do the same, the electronic circuitry of the television couldn't handle it anyway.

Most of these high hz televisions are designed for 24p output from a blu-ray player. If you are using your htpc instead, just keep it at 24. If you play games on your HTPC, well that might not be a good idea then.
600hz?? like hell bahahaahahaha...

100hz and 200hz tvs have come out but no 600hz

60hz is because your power in your wall socket oscilates at 60hz/s it was done years ago to make things work on electricity and not charge the customer a fortune to make shit work wtih capacitors...

600Hz is the sub-field drive, and really has little to do with the refresh rate. A plasma will generally refresh at 48, 60, 72, or 96. 24 into 48 is reported as almost unwatchable on the Panasonic G10 series, due to flicker. If yours is at 60, then set your HTPC at 60, if at one of the others try it at 24, it might work well, might not.

keep in mind most blurays are at 23.976, and most pc's 24hz settings are 24.00.

Currently, intel and nvidia have 23hz settings which are supposed to output 23.976, but are broken and you need to setup DTD overrides to have it function correctly. I'm not sure if ATI has the same issue as I don't have any of their cards to test with.

if you play 23.976 video at 24hz with a vsync you will have a stutter every 40 seconds or so as you fall out of sync by a frame.

Intels most recent drivers are making some progress, as the 23hz mode they just added actually reports 23.976, but still syncs at 24hz.

nVidia is just retarded and thinks 23.970 is "close enough" (actually its just driver bugs, but its still a pain in the ass. They know about it and no fix in sight).

600hz?? like hell bahahaahahaha...

100hz and 200hz tvs have come out but no 600hz

60hz is because your power in your wall socket oscilates at 60hz/s it was done years ago to make things work on electricity and not charge the customer a fortune to make shit work wtih capacitors...

In the UK there are 600Hz TVs (I have seen them in the shops) as it is the lowest number exactly divisible by 24 and 25. Our SD PAL television broadcasts at 25 frames a second. Our electricity is 50Hz here as well.

Back