Question About Opteron 1207 4.1" pitch heatsinks

rhansen5_99

2[H]4U
You're pretty much screwed. Most 1207 stuff is 3.5" and Tyan decided to use 4.1" on a couple of their boards (granted, it is part of the 1207 spec). Apart from Dynatron, I've yet to encounter something that will work.

Yeah...everything is going to be very loud unfortunately. I'm sporting $9 AM2 heatsinks on my quad 1207 machine. I based my board purchase partially on that fact.

I used a set of Asetek Vapochill Micro units on my 4.1" pitch board, but I fabricated some brackets to compensate for the pitch. This is not something I would easily recommend, but it is do-able.

They are in the thread right below this one. Titled: Octo-Core Opteron Shopping List. Page 2, in about the middle.

That dynatron cooler you found is junk, get a better cooler. Dynatron's website has a lot better cooling units.
Dynatron, Cooljag, supermicro and Tyan are basically the only manufacturers for these coolers.
Cooljag does have a good product, I nearly bought the coolers they had, but found a better deal on the dynatrons

For 3.5" pitch the best cooler is the Dynatron A86G, and the FATS-D (They are basically exactly the same)
I have two quad 1207 chips running overclocked and the A86G keeps max load under 125F on my ASUS L1N64SLI-WS/B motherboard

The P/N FAT-D is a 4.1” cooler, to my knowledge it is the best cooler for the application

email
Kenny Kwong at Cooljag

[email protected]
or call
510-824-0889

He was very helpful, answered all of my emails/calls very quickly

K-TRON

That dynatron cooler you found is junk, get a better cooler. Dynatron's website has a lot better cooling units.

Can you backup that claim that the above mentioned HSF is indeed junk, beyond any personal experiences?

The heatsink you found was cheap, but it is also made of lightweight aluminum. Not only that but it has much less surface area than the heatsinks I mentioned you to look at. The real difference between a good heatink and a bad one is surface area and material. Copper is more efficient at dissipating heat than aluminum, but the surface area also makes a difference. The more fins the more surface area their is for material to air exchange, thus greater cooling efficiency. You may end up paying a bit more for a full copper heatsink, but it will make a difference when you are running your processors at full load.

K-TRON

I have the Dynatron 1U heat sink on both my Opteron 2350s. It is soooooooooo loud. Has anyone tried the Thermaltake option? Does anyone know any option that does not sound like a jet engine? I have a 4U case so space is not a concern. The Dynatron does keep them very cool, as mine run consistently under 35 degrees Celsius.

If anyone has a quiet option but would rather have the Dynatron I would so trade with you.

Last edited:
In case anyone else comes across this thread as I did:

Noctua NH-U9DO
Noctua NH-U12DO

Both work for 3.5" and 4.1" pitch

G34 uses a 4,1" pitch... So long as the threading on that Socket F is 6/32 you should be able to use G34 coolers. Might have to check about components around the socket... but its worth investigating.
You could use a musky mod CM 212 ...http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662099

Last edited:
Back