Question about New Motherboard Packaging

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
I just received the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard that I ordered from Provantage.

Once I opened the shipping box, I noticed that one of the corners of the Gigabyte box was pretty bent. The box itself was not shrinkwrapped (and I'm not sure if it was supposed to be).

I opened the box and all contents are there. The manual shows some wear on the front cover. The motherboard itself is on the bottom in an ESD anti-static bag. I haven't opened it yet.

My question is: should I go ahead with the motherboard even if the box showed signs of wear (bent corner, worn flaps, manual, etc)? Is the box of a new motherboard normally shrinkwrapped? I just don't want to end up using a returned product, having paid so much for it. Any ideas?

Far as the heatshrink goes, my EVGA box was shrinkwrapped, not sure if it matters or if every company does it.

I just got a GA-EP45-UD3P and it was not shrink wrapped. The motherboard static bag was sealed though. Everything was inside. I don't remember ever getting a motherboard with a shrink wrap on the box.

Well, everything seems fine inside. The motherboard is in its anti-static bag which is folded up and sealed with a piece of tape.

I was just unsure because of the wear on the Gigabyte box and the manual inside the box.

The manual may have been worn out from all the other crap in the box. AFAIK, eVGA is the only manufacturer that shrink wraps their motherboard boxes.

The manual may have been worn out from all the other crap in the box. AFAIK, eVGA is the only manufacturer that shrink wraps their motherboard boxes.

That's what I'm thinking. It had the SLI bracket right on top of it and the edges may have pushed against the manual's cover. Thanks for the heads up about shrinkwrapping. Just wanted to be on the safe side.

Heh, I forgot to add that personally, I'm a mint condition box kind of guy. :p I'll make the guy at Fry's climb to the top of the stack to get me that pristine condition box... after all, I'm paying for it! Then I get home and my little sister steps all over the empty, but pretty, box. :mad:

Does anyone have any experience with Provantage? Do they usually sell new items?

The corner of the box looks just like this one that XBitLabs got (bottom left corner).

I'm thinking I should just stop worrying about the box (only one bent corner, not a life or death situation) and should just use the motherboard. After all, it probably just got damaged in transit somewhere... But that stupid little voice inside my head...

That? thats a tiny dent! I've seen worse from newegg, lol. Don't worry about it man, unless you're like me and want that pristine box, lol.

yeah thats not bad.. when you get a box from newegg with a hole in the side of it, like it was kicked.. like i got last week.. thats when you should be worried.. :p

Thanks guys. I'll hope that its just a shipping defect and that its a brand new motherboard.

Back