Question about new HDD and transfer

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
So I'm aware that you can install a new HDD into a MB, and once the OS install is done use the migration assistant to transfer the information/programs/settings over. My concern is that I got a new HDD for my late 2008 2.4GHz unibody MacBook for Christmas and it has Snow Leopard on it. The problem is that I have no idea where my Snow Leopard disc is, but I do have my original install discs. Is there anyway to transfer the Snow Leopard install and my programs/documents onto the new drive? I know cloning is an option, but I really don't want to buy anything if possible and want the transition to be as clean as possible. Can I create a Time Machine backup on my external and just restore that?

You can probably do a complete TM restore..just boot the Leopard disc and under Utility you'll see the option for a full TM restore. I've never done it between versions, but it'll probably work. Give it a shot.

You could just get carbon copy cloner (its free), and image your disk over to that disk, after that its just plug and play...

And as far as TM backup the problem is that you need to have an existing SL install for that to work, and it would take FOREVER especially if you have a lot of data, in this case because you dont have your SL disk your only real option is to clone.

I did exactly that recently. Time machine backup on an external and just load it up after you install the new drive. Yes, it takes a few hours. But no, you don't have to reinstall snow leopard. Very easy

Alternatively, you can use Disk Utility to make an ISO image backup of your existing drive, then restore this ISO on the new harddrive. There's a few ways to go about this.

Back