Question about Microsoft CAL

Azhar

Fixing stupid since 1972
If I was to buy a 100-pack CAL for Windows Server's Exchange Server 2010, would it require that I renew the CAL every year or is it a one-time buy?

I'm thinking that the yearly subscription is basically just for Software Assurance which will permit you to upgrade to the next version when it launches, similar to my company's 100-CAL Office license. I've purchased the Office CAL when the company was using Office XP and it allowed me to grab 2003 and 2007 from Software Assurance.

Does this apply to Exchange as well? You can chose to just buy 100 CAL one time or buy 100 CAL with Software Assurance to be able to upgrade later?

I may be wrong, so keep that in mind. I was under the impression that the user licenses don't need to be renewed. Software Assurance just means if a new product is out to replace the one you are buying within two years, your current licenses will be made available to use with the new product. as well, and you will also get the new product, assuming you bought Exchange 2010 too. I just put in a big order with TechSoup (good for non-profits) for Server OSes, Windows 7, and the related CALs.

I didn't buy 2010 yet. I have Exchange 2000 built into SBS 2003 and I want to throw that POS server in the trash. It's ancient and obsolete.

I have 5 servers running Windows Server, 2 of them 2008 Standard x64, 1 running 2003 Standard x64, 1 running 2003 Standard x86 (just a storage and print server in the office), and the Exchange server is on 2003 Small Business Server (not even an R2).

The two 32-bit 2003 servers are in the office. The three x64 servers are colo'd at a datacenter because connectivity is critical (Citrix, SQL, project management software).

I want to build a new Exchange server (also running DNS and Active Directory, replicating with another AD and DNS server at the datacenter via Cisco VPN) and mothball the current one. The Software Assurance for that SBS license was never renewed. It was built before my time in the company.

I want to be able to sell the idea to my boss but I'd like to be sure that there's no other cost than the approximately $65 per CAL cost.

1) You should be visiting www.microsoft.com/licensing to be clear on this always evolving money making scheme MS utilizes.
This page is more specific for the Open licensing (5+ license minimum): http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/licensing-options/open-license.aspx#tab=2

2) You pretty much have an idea how it works. But there are a lot of little details depending on the product.

I'm thinking that the yearly subscription is basically just for Software Assurance which will permit you to upgrade to the next version when it launches, similar to my company's 100-CAL Office license. I've purchased the Office CAL when the company was using Office XP and it allowed me to grab 2003 and 2007 from Software Assurance.
SA is a purchase option to grant you upgrade rights. If you don't have CALs already then you still have to buy them and that gets rolled up in your payment plan with the SA. There are subscription plans in the Open Licensing group but the othters are purchases with payments spread over three years. Check the website for more details.

Does this apply to Exchange as well? You can chose to just buy 100 CAL one time or buy 100 CAL with Software Assurance to be able to upgrade later?
Exactly.

Find a reputable software sales rep (they get better rates usually) and have them work up the costs to you by going with one of the MS licensing plans with SA vs an outright purchase which of course doesn't offer an upgrade path.

3)
If I was to buy
If I were to buy... Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Thanks guys!

My company has 2 vendors who supply software and hardware for us (buytech.com and b2bcomp.com). I shot them an email too, but with expensive purchases I'd like a non-salesman point of view, if you know what I mean.

If I was to buy :D :D Exchange, I'd like to know what my options were...

I did it again, what'cha gonna do about it?? ;)

Thanks guys!

My company has 2 vendors who supply software and hardware for us (buytech.com and b2bcomp.com). I shot them an email too, but with expensive purchases I'd like a non-salesman point of view, if you know what I mean.

If I was to buy :D :D Exchange, I'd like to know what my options were...

I did it again, what'cha gonna do about it?? ;)
Report you to da grammah Nahzeees!!! :)

" I have Exchange 2000 built into SBS 2003 and I want to throw that POS server in the trash"

You mean you have Exchange 2003, not 2000

Yessir, you're correct. I remembered it was version 6.x which I knew to be 2000, but wasn't sure what the "x" was.

It's 6.5.7638.1 which is 2003 SP2 according to this site.

I rarely mess with Exchange because I set accounts up with Active Directory, so I haven't paid attention to the version number in quite awhile.

Back