Question about IR port on laptop and MS MCE keyboard/mouse

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, so I got a new laptop that has an HDMI port. I would like to use this as a semi HTPC to watch missed network shows from Hulu or what not. I have an old MCE remote and keyboard from my previous MCE PC and was wondering if they would work with the IR port I have on the front of my laptop. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW Its a Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop.

I don't see why it wouldn't if you have drivers for the remote and the IR port on the laptop works.

Did the remote come with it's own IR interface?

Laptop IR ports are designed for IrDA. Consumer IR devices normally use CIR. Some laptop IR receivers can accept CIR signals.

A quick search on Google reveals that this laptop does appear to have a CIR-capable receiver, so you should be fine. However, you'll still maybe have to work out how to interpret the remote codes, which will depend on what the CIR driver does.

won't work. The MCE keyboard and remote are both RC6 and need an RC6 reciever to work. Like Magao said, the chances of it working are slim to none.

Good point - wasn't even thinking about RC5 vs RC6, etc. Makes it even harder.

This article suggests that the XPS 13 comes with (or maybe supports) an MCE remote via the ExpressCard port. I'm not exactly sure what they mean.

My suggestion is install the CIR driver and see if you can capture remote signals.

Thought I would report back, the IR port on the laptop works with both the MCE keyboard and remote.

Back