question about installing SATA drive

chrusher97

Limp Gawd
I already have a 120gb IDE drive in my system, with windows working fine and everything. So is there any way to just plug in my new 74gb raptor and format it, without going through windows installation.

I just want to get my existing windows install to recognize the drive, then i want to use symantec ghost32 to copy my IDE hard drive to the raptor.

Is this possible or will I have to install windows on the SATA first, thanks

Yes. But to get windows to recogonize it for a windows installation, you gotta either slipstream the drivers for the serial ata port into the installation or use a floppy disk with them installed on it.

And post in 1 thread next time damnit! =p

To get windows onto that thing, you are going to have to load the SATA driver at some point unless your mobo has a SATA controller built into the chipset. I know my Asus A7N8X requires me to load drivers for windows to see SATA drives, but my Asus K8N does not.

So, the point is, it depends on your motherboard. If you've had the rig for a while, you will probably need to load SATA drivers.

If you have a board using an Intel chipset, like the 865 or 875, Ghost will move your data over, and you'll be able to boot fine from it. You don't need any special drivers unless your running RAID. I've used Ghost to migrate my fiancee's computer from an IDE to an SATA drive without issue when I gave her one of my Raptors.

Back